Tung Oil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

Anyone use Tung Oil instead of BLO? Just curious since I have some on hand. I have used it prior on fly rod handles and grips but not in combination with CA.

Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Do not decide just upon my experience, because I only tried it once. I used it on a Bubinga blank and the result was awful. It seemed to take all the shine away! The blank was dull and lifeless. As a result, I re-sanded and tried again using just CA. That was successful. Based upon my first result, I have been reluctant to try again. However, CA finishes and CA/BLO combinations seem to work great for some people, while being totally unpredictable for others. Its one of the mysteries of pen turning, I believe.

If you do try it, I would suggest using a piece of scrap wood or at least not one of your favorite blanks. If I remember correctly, it took a bit of sanding to get all of the Tung Oil residue off the wood.

nativewooder

Do you have Tung Oil Finish or 100 per cent pure Tung Oil? Read the label on the can/bottle carefully. Pure Tung Oil must be diluted with mineral spirits or it will take a long time to cure. Do a little research by "Googling" Tung Oil and you will learn a lot, and save yourself some headaches.

Wildman

When applied in many fine coats over wood, tung oil slowly cures to a satin "wetted wood" look with slight golden tint. It resists liquid water better than any other pure oil finish, though it still provides little protection against water vapor exchange or scratches. Tung oil does not darken noticeably with age and is claimed to be less susceptible to mold than linseed oil. Tung oil does not stop or inhibit water vapor transfer.

Product packaging will usually clearly state if it is pure tung oil or polymerized tung oil. Wiping varnishes, and oil/varnish blends are sold as tung oil finishes (sometimes containing no tung oil at all), and all the above contain solvents and/or chemical driers.

You thin tung oil to i:1 ratio with turpentine, citrus based thinners, or naphtha.

Heating tung oil to about 500 degrees in an oxygen-free environment will substantially increase the viscosity and film-forming quality of the product. The resulting polymerized tung oil will range in consistency from that of maple syrup to that of motor oil. Most polymerized tung oils are sold mixed with mineral spirits to make them easier to work with.

People with nut allergies often report adverse reactions to contact with (or even the odor of) tung oil.

Wildman

So is Tung oil or wiping oil or oil varnish mix a good finish for pens? Depends upon the look you are going for and the time it takes to achieve that look. There is a definite learning curve with pure Tung/polymerized oil, and other products if you want more than a matt finish.

Last edited:

snyiper

Be careful This MSDS sheet shows it is volitile above 250....not sure you can get it to 500 safely. Perhaps the key is oxygen free enviroment.Flash Point:ABOVE 250 DEG F

Material Safety Data Sheet for Tung Oil

Distributed by:View printer friendly versionThe Real Milk Paint Co.
11 West Pumping Station Road
Quakertown, PA 18951
Phone: 215-538-3886
Fax: 215-538-5435

24 Hour Emergency Phone: Chem-Tel Inc. 800-255-3924
Date of Prep: 02/23/05
Section 1. - Identification:
MANUFACTURER:
COOPERATIVA AGRICOLA LTDA
DE PICADA LIBERTAD
CHINA NATIONAL CEREALS
COOPERATIVEA COLONIAS UNIDAS
AGROPEC IND LTDA

TRADE NAME: TUNG OIL (also Chinawood Oil)
CAS NUMBER: 8001-20-5
HMIS/NEPA HAZARD IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM: H-O F-2 R-0 P-B

Section 2. – Hazardous Ingredients:
Raw tung oil is not a hazardous material under current dept of labor definitions.

Section 3. – Physical Data:
Boiling Range:N/AVapor DensityHeavier than AirPercent Volatile by Volume:N/AWeight per Gallon: Approximately 7.5 lbs.Appearance: Clear, Transparent Liquid - Amber to Light BrownSpecific Gravity @25°C:0.933 – 0.938

Section 4. – Fire and Explosion Hazard Data:
Flammability Classifications:DOT - Not RegulatedFlash Point:ABOVE 250 DEG FExtinguishing Media:SandUnusual Fire & Explosion Hazards: Keep containers tightly closed, Isolate from heat, electrical equipment, sparks and open flame. As with all vegetable oils, rags, steel wool or waste soaked with oil, may spontaneously catch fire if improperty discarded. Immediatley after use, place the oil soaked material in a sealed water-filled metal container.

Section 5. – Health Hazard Data
Effects of Overexposure:
A mild dermatitis may occur with prolonged contact if individual is sensitive; possible nausea upon injestion.

Emergency and First Aid Procedures:
Wash thoroughly with soap and water.

Section 6. – Reactivity Data
Stability: StableConditions to Avoid: Caustic Amines, Alkanolamines, Inorganic AcidsHazardous Decomposition Products: Unknown if anyHazardous Polymerization: Will not occur

Section 7. – Spill or Leak Procedures
Steps to be taken in case material is released or spilled:
Confine with sand or other insert media. Return to containers. Dispose in accordance with local, state, & federal regulations.

Waste Disposal Method:
Call National Response Center 800-424-8802

Section 8. – Special Protection Information
Respiratory Protection: Not normally needed.

Ventilation: Normal plant ventillation.

Protective Gloves: Rubber or neoprene.

Other Protective Equipment: Not normally needed.

Eye Protection: Goggles as guard against splashing.

Section 9. – Disclaimer and/or Comments
The information in this MSDS was obtained from sources which we believe are reliable. However, the information is provided without any representation or warranty, expressed or implied, regarding its accuracy or corrections.

The conditions of handling, storage, use and disposal of the product are beyond our control and may be beyond our knowledge. For this and other reason, we do not assume responsibility and expressly disclaim liability for loss, damage, or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the handling, storage, use of disposal of the product.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I like pure tung but I thin it. The mineral spirits will help it penetrate
the wood better. I like it for a satin finish.

Wildman

Snyiper, on many commercial wiping oils\varnish products will list Polymerized Oil as an ingredient there is absolutely no Tung oil in the product.

You have to read ingredients listed on can to figure out if actually getting polymerized Tung oil! Polymerized Tung oil should have no other ingredients other than thinner.

Top Bottom