Tudor in Purple Poly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

First Polymer Clay pen I have done in quite a while. The kit is a PSI Tudor in 24k Gold fittings. which I have added purple alcohol dye to the backgrounds with my 3 hair sable brush. Polymer blank was made with a mixture of flowers and colors. I think the alcohol dye takes the not so impressive tudor kit to a more pleasant looking finished product. Finished with 8 coats of thick CA sanded to 1600 and Polished with One-Step Plastic Polish. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0799 (311x800).jpg
    DSCN0799 (311x800).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0800 (301x800).jpg
    DSCN0800 (301x800).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN0801 (800x206).jpg
    DSCN0801 (800x206).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
First Polymer Clay pen I have done in quite a while. The kit is a PSI Tudor in 24k Gold fittings. which I have added purple alcohol dye to the backgrounds with my 3 hair sable brush. Polymer blank was made with a mixture of flowers and colors. I think the alcohol dye takes the not so impressive tudor kit to a more pleasant looking finished product. Finished with 8 coats of thick CA sanded to 1600 and Polished with One-Step Plastic Polish. Jim S

Beautiful! The added purple dye really mkes a difference.

plantman

Probably a dumb question but since I don't know - here goes: Where does one get "Alcohol Dye"? I really think adding the dye really makes a huge improvement.

You should be able to find alcohol dye at most craft or hobby stores. Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Joann's Fabric have it. You can also find it on line. Look up Tim Holt. Works on wood, metal, glass or tiles also. Jim S

plantman

I thank you all for the "looks", "likes', and "comments'. The members on this site are very special people to me, and keep me going !!! Again, Thanks to all of you out there !!!
Jim S

plantman

Probably a dumb question but since I don't know - here goes: Where does one get "Alcohol Dye"? I really think adding the dye really makes a huge improvement.

You should be able to find alcohol dye at most craft or hobby stores. Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Joann's Fabric have it. You can also find it on line. Look up Tim Holt. Works on wood, metal, glass or tiles also. Jim S

:eek: I need to make a correction. It should be Tim Holtz. (sorry Tim) and his products are called Adirondak Inks/Dyes and can be found at Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products or Tim Holtz's website, along with the craft and hobby stores above. Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

Beautiful pen and complimented so well with your modifications :cool:

I am some what amazed the dye colours the plating but the result is amazing.

Neil; Alcohol dyes/inks are transparent. They have no solid pigments in them to be transferred to the object they are being applied to. Thus they do not hide the grains of wood with color, only tint them. They are best used on a slick surface such as glass, tile, or metal, but will penetrate open cell items very well. Once dry a solvent must be used to remove it. Jim S

Dai Sensei

Neil; Alcohol dyes/inks are transparent...

I am aware of them, used them many times, just never on impervious surfaces

.. Once dry a solvent must be used to remove it.

So you have just let it evaporate leaving a film of colour, but the acid on your hands would be enough to remove it in time I would have thought, but perhaps it is etching the surface. I'll have to give it a try.

Last edited:

plantman

Neil; Alcohol dyes/inks are transparent...

I am aware of them, used them many times, just never on impervious surfaces

.. Once dry a solvent must be used to remove it.

So you have just let it evaporate leaving a film of colour, but the acid on your hands would be enough to remove it in time I would have thought, but perhaps it is etching the surface. I'll have to give it a try.

I think you are correct in thinking that use over time may wear off the dye. I, or my wife, have never used a pen treated this way for any extended length of time. Any I have made are in my collection, as I do not sell pens as a rule. I try to keep the dyes on the recessed parts of the fittings where your fingers usually do not touch to often. Any dye/ink I have put on a raised surface and tried to remove needed a solvent or a sharp knife to remove if left to dry. If you run over a line while applying, it can be quickly wiped off with a cloth or your finger. Of course, your finger will now be whatever color you are using. Gloves are suggested when working with inks/dyes and covering the surface where you are going to work is also keen. You can also purchase a blending solution to soften the colors and blend them together. I use this on wooden pens to bring out more of the grain changes and add depth to the finished blanks. Jim S

Top Bottom