Tube painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebel1

I have been trying to paint my tubes white, but when I put CA glue or Epoxy in them the paint melts off. Need all the help I can get. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Change type of paint being used (I use epoxy paints usually) and try reverse painting the drilled blank instead of the tube itself. There may be better ways but so far I have had no reason to explore them.

Atherton Pens

Try using acrylic paints. Let it dry overnight and it should be fine. Also, be sure to rough the tube a bit with sandpaper (150 grit) so the paint with adhere.

beck3906

Check the hole in the blank for roughness. I've often taken a file and cleaned burrs from the hole to preven scratching the blanks.

Add a bit of paint to the epoxy to tint it also. I use the small Testors bottle paint for this.

rebel1

I have tried acrylic paint and testors enamel paint and let it dry for 2 days and evev painter the inside of the tube, when I glue the tubes in and turn the blanks down you can see where the paint has melted.

Last edited:

Chasper

Not all Testors is equally opaque, some of the metalics, especially the colored metalics, don't do a very good job covering. I always paint the inside of the drilled hole, never paint the tube, glue mostly with CA, and I use Testors. I think the problem is probably just not good paint coverage. Try smoothing out the inside of the blank with a chain saw file and paint with a Q-tip.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Are you sure you are seeing the "melted" paint and not the glue voids? If you are using something that is somewhat transparent and only paint the tubes, you will very likely see any voids between the tube and the inside of the blank. For me, it is much more preferable to reverse paint the inside of the blank. This will eliminate see any of the voids in the glue since the voids will be on the back side of the paint.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I see in your last post that you may be saying you have tried reverse painting the blank. Not sure since you say you paint the inside of the tube but I think that is what you are meaning. If so, then the paint you are using may not be opaque enough. I used to use Testor's paint but found it is seldom opaques enough so I have switched to Delta Creative Ceramcoat acrylic paint. It is available at most hobby stores. It will not be affected by CA and goes on nice and opaque.

If you have tried acrylic paint with reverse painting the blanks and are still having problems, then I still say it is because of the lack of opaqueness of the paint you are using and you are seeing through it and seeing the glue voids. Acrylic paint is not affected by CA.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I use Rustoleum spray paint in the appropriate color and allow it to dry overnight, never have a problem. I have had problems with other paint such as Krylon. I have also begun painting the drilled hole with the Testors Model paint using a Q tip just because It's easier to do that than to do it over.
WB

Top Bottom