Tube insertion tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

I do not like the standard tube insertion tool. When I push in a tube, the tool will often jam into the end of the tube and pull it back out when I remove the tool. It is also difficult to push the tube into the blank to the depth I want, usually involving having to adjust the depth once the tool is taken out.
I believe I have made a tool to correct these issues, and make life a little easier. It is nothing but a piece of HDPE, about 1/8 inch thick, 3/4 inch wide and 6 inches long, which has a point cut on one end. The cut has an included angle of 90 degrees. The first photo shows the tool.

It is used just like the standard insertion tool, but will always push the tube into the blank to the same depth. This is set to give just enough material to square the end of the blank. Since this depth is consistent, the blank can be cut to allow just enough wood on the other end for squaring. This saves time when squaring, wear on the squaring tools used, and slightly longer cut offs to find a place to store.

The second photo shows the end of the blank with the tube pushed in by the tool, showing the amount of wood left for squaring. The third photo shows the other end of the same blank. I cut the blank so that it is about 1/16 inch longer than the tube.

This only takes a few minutes to make, and costs almost nothing. To try it you can make one out of wood and wax it to prevent glue from sticking to it. The HDPE is more durable and doesn't need waxing.

Attachments

• DSCN0088.jpg
    DSCN0088.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN0086.jpg
    DSCN0086.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0087.jpg
    DSCN0087.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Looks like a useful tool. Looks like it would keep the glue off of your fingers.:)

I glued a CA glue cap to a dowel to make an insertion tool.

Wouldn't that take all the fun out of it.:biggrin:

I've been using the pointy end of a bamboo skewer and the other end for mixing the epoxy. This would likely work nicely for epoxy as well, think I'll make one. At least the one end of the tube will be a consistent depth for me.

gtriever

I use a 3/4" glue spreader. Mix epoxy with it, spread the glue on the tubes, then use the rounded butt end to seat the tube. Wipe it off with a paper towel and it's good to go again.

Top Bottom