Tube insertion tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from monophoto

monophoto

Most of the suppliers sell a tube insertion tool intended to help avoid getting glue on your fingers when you put the tube into a pen blank. But you can easily make one.

I bought a high-density polyethylene cutting board at a 'dollar store' for raw material for various fixtures and fittings. The working end of my insertion tool was turned from a length of that HDPE. It is tapered from 1/8" at the tip to just under 1/2" where it joins the handle; there is a 1/4" tenon that extends into the handle. Glue won't stick to HDPE, so I turned some rings into the tenon so that when the glue dried in those rings, it created a mechanical bond between the HDPE and the handle.

The handle started out life as a brush for use in cleaning the gas grill. The brush wore out years ago, but I hung onto the handle knowing that it could be recycled into something else.

Attachments

• Insertion tool-s.JPG
    Insertion tool-s.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Schroedc

Great idea! I use an old steel tapered line up punch that was taking up space in my tool box and just wire wheel it when it gets gunky but I might have to try this out. Pretty sure I have some scrap HDPE rod in the bin somewhere.

Top Bottom