trying to ID a kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fnfalguy

I'm likely going to add to this thread as I continue to go through a box of pen kits I bought. The attached photo is one of the pencil kits I'm trying to get a bit more information on so I can get a handle on bushing size. Supposedly, it is described as Americana Pencil Artisan band. From the number on the bag, I tried searching Craft Supply as well as Exotic Blanks, but to no avail. I also searched through the complete suppliers bushing/tube list in the resources and that was fantastic to knock a few of my other questioned kits off the list.

Any thoughts from the hive mind?

20230605_150822.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

That looks like the Americana pen kit. The Schmidt part looks like a pen refill to me.

fnfalguy

That looks like the Americana pen kit. The Schmidt part looks like a pen refill to me.

Thanks for the link. It's definitely a pencil, 0.7mm with an eraser. Maybe I'll find another one labeled as I sort through this bankers box. guess I jumped into this hobby head first.
E8A5FDF8-2A09-4C56-90FC-4FDE46DA8784.jpeg

fnfalguy

@Drewby108 As I dug deeper into the pile, I did find some labeled Americana twist pens and they look identical. I guess they discontinued the pencil but hopefully they take the same bushings if I get around to turning them.

egnald

@Drewby108 As I dug deeper into the pile, I did find some labeled Americana twist pens and they look identical. I guess they discontinued the pencil but hopefully they take the same bushings if I get around to turning them.

Schmidt makes a converter/adapter for Parker style ink refills that can turn a pen kit into a pencil kit with nor (or minimal) tweaking. I use the 0.7mm ones to convert Cigar pens to pencils all the time. Perhaps the previous owner (or supplier) made the substitution to change pen kits into pencil kits.

They were called Schmidt DSM 2006 Feinimen Pencil System (plastic body) and what could be the part in your photo, the Schmidt DSM 2007 Feinemen Pencil System (metal body). They also came in 0.5mm and 0.9mm lead sizes, but I have always used the 0.7mm. Dawn and Ed sell them both at Exotic Blanks.

It looks like the thing in your picture says Schmidt Feinimen on it, but I can't make out any other information in your photo.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The Americana pen bushings won't work for the pencil kit. The Apprentice bushings have the same large diameters for both pen & pencil, but the pen takes an 8mm drill bit while the pencil takes an 11/32 bit, so the small diameters of the bushings are different. Both the pen and the pencil have been discontinued as well as their bushings.

The Artisan version of the pen kit is their curren offering. It uses an 8mm drill bit, but different size bushings from the Apprentice pen bushings.

They are all documented in the Bushings & Tubes app. Let me know if you don't have the app & need the instructions.

fnfalguy

Thanks for the input @Edgar . I do not have the app as of yet. I went through the 200+ pages of the bushing and tubes for the 27 suppliers and thought that the app may have the same information. If not, I'll take a look in the App Store or play store. If I find a few more kits that I cannot figure out it may make sense to purchase it.

fnfalguy

Schmidt makes a converter/adapter for Parker style ink refills that can turn a pen kit into a pencil kit with nor (or minimal) tweaking. I use the 0.7mm ones to convert Cigar pens to pencils all the time. Perhaps the previous owner (or supplier) made the substitution to change pen kits into pencil kits.

They were called Schmidt DSM 2006 Feinimen Pencil System (plastic body) and what could be the part in your photo, the Schmidt DSM 2007 Feinemen Pencil System (metal body). They also came in 0.5mm and 0.9mm lead sizes, but I have always used the 0.7mm. Dawn and Ed sell them both at Exotic Blanks.

It looks like the thing in your picture says Schmidt Feinimen on it, but I can't make out any other information in your photo.

Regards,
Dave
Looks pretty much what you described, except 2005
BC51B4DC-4933-4507-8799-B2918B00C575.jpeg

egnald

Looks pretty much what you described, except 2005
I will bet it was an upgrade to a pen kit made by either the previous owner or from the original supplier. I have only used the DSM 2006 and 2007 from Exotic Blanks, but a quick check on the Schmidt website does show a DSM 2005 model, but their description is the same as for a DSM 2006. The difference appears to be in the threads and detail around the tip. - Dave

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for the input @Edgar . I do not have the app as of yet. I went through the 200+ pages of the bushing and tubes for the 27 suppliers and thought that the app may have the same information. If not, I'll take a look in the App Store or play store. If I find a few more kits that I cannot figure out it may make sense to purchase it.
The app & charts have pretty much the same information, but the app has powerful search features that sometimes make it easier & faster to peruse the data.

The app also has instructions & photos for most kits and several other features not in the charts: calculator, drill bit converter, and a few other things.

Did I mention that it's only $0.99? 🙂

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks. I tried them first but struck out on their website.
It's the American Pencil Kit from CSUSA, but it's been discontinued for some time, so there is t any information on it on their web site any longer.

The Apprentice Americana BP was its companion but used a different size drill bit & is also discontinued.

The Flat Top American pencil kit that Don linked looks the same as your CSUSA pencil kits but uses an 8mm drill bit & has different bushing diameters.

You will probably need to turn it without bushings (or use some that are close to what you need) and use calipers to guide your turning to the proper kit dimensions.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I figured this kit may be my first foray into calipers vs use of a bushing.
It's not difficult, but I like to use a set of bushings that's as close as possible to what I need rather than turning without.

I made a bushing inventory spreadsheet to document all the bushings I have on hand, then look for the closest match whenever I have a kit with no bushings. It helps me get very close to final diameters before I need to start using calipers.

Here's a link to that thread & the spreadsheet I created. You're welcome to use it if you think it might help.

Reactions: RKB
Top Bottom