Trying to be a little more Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

There's no doubt the ongoing pandemic has added some stress to my life. But I'm sure it's not any more than for the average person on the planet, and a lot less than many. Regardless, I have been trying to take some control of my own personal situation, both my thoughts and actions. I've had some success and some failures, but I'll keep trying. Anyway, as the thread title implies, this is a Zen. I had lost the tube a while back and for the life of me couldn't figure out what happened to it. I decided to get a replacement tube in my last order from ExoticBlanks (which incidentally was also my birthday present). Normally I would just go with a solid wood blank, but this time I decided to use a couple of off-cuts - center is black locust and ends are amboyna with aluminum accents. I was a little worried that the colors wouldn't work well together, but the black locust finished up a little darker than I expected and the amboyna a little lighter, so I think they go well together. I feel like this pen is a little bit symbolic of the things that I'm trying to do in life in general - move on from things that are bothering me (the original tube is somewhere and will show up some day, but who cares), use the things I have around me, put in a little extra effort, and push forward even when the outcome is uncertain.

PSX_20200517_191829.jpg
PSX_20200517_191957.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philipff

There's no doubt the ongoing pandemic has added some stress to my life. But I'm sure it's not any more than for the average person on the planet, and a lot less than many. Regardless, I have been trying to take some control of my own personal situation, both my thoughts and actions. I've had some success and some failures, but I'll keep trying. Anyway, as the thread title implies, this is a Zen. I had lost the tube a while back and for the life of me couldn't figure out what happened to it. I decided to get a replacement tube in my last order from ExoticBlanks (which incidentally was also my birthday present). Normally I would just go with a solid wood blank, but this time I decided to use a couple of off-cuts - center is black locust and ends are amboyna with aluminum accents. I was a little worried that the colors wouldn't work well together, but the black locust finished up a little darker than I expected and the amboyna a little lighter, so I think they go well together. I feel like this pen is a little bit symbolic of the things that I'm trying to do in life in general - move on from things that are bothering me (the original tube is somewhere and will show up some day, but who cares), use the things I have around me, put in a little extra effort, and push forward even when the outcome is uncertain.

View attachment 239162View attachment 239163
I have made many the Zens and I like your's a whole bunch! Well Done! P.

magpens

Can't help expressing my admiration for this pen .... again !!

I am very partial to the Zen styling and to the two woods you used, Amboyna and Black Locust !

The pen's finish is superbly nice !!! . I am gonna hafta strive for similar !!

Dehn0045

What a great looking pen. Very nicely executed. I like the soft finish as well.

Thanks James. Actually the finish is pretty glossy, I'm not sure why to photos came out looking that way. Maybe it was my lightbox, or it has something to do with me going into the pool with my phone in my pocket 🤦‍♂️ (I've been noticing a little haze in my photos ever since). In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have polished it up, I kinda like the dull look in the photo too 🤷‍♂️.

Dehn0045

Thanks for all the positive comments (thanks to Mal twice ;)), looking forward to getting back out in the shop to do some damage again this evening!

Top Bottom