Trying something new

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deacon904

Deacon904

Turned a Wallstreet II tonight.
Got the "starter kit" from Woodcraft a few weeks ago and have been holding off for one reason or the other.

Got some Bethlehem Olivewood in yesterday, figure I'd go for it tonight.

I think it came out "ok" for first of the type.
Sanded with Doctors Woodshop Walnut oil to 600 and applied some of the DW walnut oil and microcrystaline wax...

Gotta try new thing to keep learning.

20191105_185732.jpg
20191105_185809.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day,

Great way to start, shape and finish look good, you may need to take a little more attention on the fitting, the bottom part of the barrel has a gap, is it not pressured all the way or the barrel is too short...?

Take my observations as constructive criticism as that is what I intend...! ;)

Cheers
George

Deacon904

G'day,

Great way to start, shape and finish look good, you may need to take a little more attention on the fitting, the bottom part of the barrel has a gap, is it not pressured all the way or the barrel is too short...?

Cheers
George

Thanks, constructive feedback is good.. I just looked and I maybe able to fix it with some light sanding. Maybe.....

This is my 5th or 6th pen and the first none slim line.

I also notice the 27/64 hole is a bit large,
I drilled it on lathe... well I should say PenPal.. to make sure it wasn't me doing something wrong I drilled a piece of scrap and it was the same.

Is that normal, drill came in the Wallstreet starter set..

robutacion

Thanks, constructive feedback is good.. I just looked and I maybe able to fix it with some light sanding. Maybe.....

This is my 5th or 6th pen and the first none slim line.

I also notice the 27/64 hole is a bit large,
I drilled it on lathe... well I should say PenPal.. to make sure it wasn't me doing something wrong I drilled a piece of scrap and it was the same.

Is that normal, drill came in the Wallstreet starter set..
Holes that are drilled a bit too tight for the tube is no good either, what is the final diameter of the hole after drilled...? if not excessive, that may work well for using the 2 part epoxy glue instead of CA.

Cheers
George

Deacon904

Holes that are drilled a bit too tight for the tube is no good either, what is the final diameter of the hole after drilled...? if not excessive, that may work well for using the 2 part epoxy glue instead of CA.

Cheers
George

Let's just say tube slides right through..

penicillin

I use polyurethane glue, which foams and fills any gaps between the tube and the wall of the blank. It is messy to apply, the dried foamed glue needs to be cleaned up, and it takes 24 hours for a full cure, but it works for me and I like it. I use original Gorilla Glue and buy the smallest bottle that they sell at the big box store. That small bottle did around 50 pens over a span of one year before it aged out a few days ago. There wasn't that much left in the bottle. $5 for the 2 fl. oz size.

I have also tried White Gorilla Glue. It is a foaming polyurethane glue that dries white instead of yellow. It should work the same as original Gorilla Glue, but it is thinner and more runny, which makes it "drippy" and thus harder to apply.

I use epoxy when the blank is translucent. I paint the tubes, the hole, or both.

I use medium CA glue (with activator on each end of the blank) if I want to turn the pen immediately.

A friend recommended Clear Gorilla Glue, which is different than any other glue on the market. It is a silane-based glue, very strong, and dries clear. That pen is a long term project. I used the Clear Gorilla Glue for other non-pen uses, and I like it. I think of it like epoxy adhesive, without the mixing.

howsitwork

Like the pen , colours work well and grain is good.

To add a plus for epoxy especially the slow curing type as it grips well and gap fills if necessary.

I have only tried the clear gorilla glue to laminate a blank today. It has had 24 hours to cure but doesn't seem as hard as original gorilla glue? It claims to foam slightly but didn't seem to but it is clear and fairly hard. Planing off excess was OK but not as easy as with original gorilla. I will cont and make one blank up using it and see how it works out. Reporting back when done. At my current rate of progress that's 2020 folks ! šŸ˜‰

robutacion

Let's just say tube slides right through..
Well, that still doesn't tell me much or at least not sufficiently, when blanks "grab" the tubes that means that there isn't much room for the glue particularly if thicker glues, in many cases, the glue is pushed out when the tube is inserted and therefore compromising the adhesion between the two materials. I like to use this example for determining how much gap I have in between tube and wood, wrap the tube with some normal printing paper, make sure is not overlapped then try to insert it into the drilled blank, my determination is based on the results, if it won't fit (rips the paper), the hole is too small for thick glues, if with 1 layer of paper the fit is good that is the ideal hole size for thick glues, if you need to wrap the tube 2 or more times then, the hole size is far too big and depending on what kit you are turning, you may endup with little/insufficient material over the tube and "break" through.

Cheers
George

Deacon904

Well, that still doesn't tell me much or at least not sufficiently, when blanks "grab" the tubes that means that there isn't much room for the glue particularly if thicker glues, in many cases, the glue is pushed out when the tube is inserted and therefore compromising the adhesion between the two materials. I like to use this example for determining how much gap I have in between tube and wood, wrap the tube with some normal printing paper, make sure is not overlapped then try to insert it into the drilled blank, my determination is based on the results, if it won't fit (rips the paper), the hole is too small for thick glues, if with 1 layer of paper the fit is good that is the ideal hole size for thick glues, if you need to wrap the tube 2 or more times then, the hole size is far too big and depending on what kit you are turning, you may endup with little/insufficient material over the tube and "break" through.

Cheers
George

1 layer of paper with not enough room for 2 - going to try the Gorilla glue on the next project I start this weekend

Deacon904

G'day,

Cheers
George

Was able to tighten it up a bit by passing some 600 grit and the barrel end. still a very small gap but almost not noticeable

robutacion

Was able to tighten it up a bit by passing some 600 grit and the barrel end. still a very small gap but almost not noticeable
G'day mate,

Some improvement is better than no improvement but I wonder if you are using the "correct" way of trimming the barrel ends, what I mean is, the correct way is the way that works the best for you, there a few different ways to achieve the same result but I wonder what and how you do it that you need to use such fine sanding grit that hardly cuts much, most users rely on 80 to 120 grits to square the barrel ends.

Cheers
George

howsitwork

I found a metalworking counterbore with a 6.2mm spigot perfect fit for truing up tube ends. and leaves a great finish too.

Ian

Top Bottom