Trying Something New.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

.....New for me that is.
I am giving Nick Agar's Sunset Viking Bowl a go.....and having fun!
I probably have one more application of the silver guilding paste before sealing and moving to the inside.

Attachments

• 7CC73792-84F4-45B4-90CC-D780EC36E71B.jpg
    7CC73792-84F4-45B4-90CC-D780EC36E71B.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Would that technique, including decorations, work on a pen ? . It is very attractive on the bowl !

What about other metallic colorings as well ?

Charlie_W

Would that technique, including decorations, work on a pen ? . It is very attractive on the bowl !

Yes Mal, it could work on a pen. A little more tricky due to the small diameter with stamps and punches. A pen with a little more meat is helpful. Pyrography is an option. Another consideration is your clear top coat and compatibility with the guilding paste.
I think it would look great on a Black TI Zen or a Pro X pen. Another thought is one of the George or similar Roller ball pens in the finish that looks like pewter.
Yes, different metallic guilding pastes are available. I have silver, copper and sovereign gold. All from Goldfinger.
The guilding paste in the little tins (like shoe polish)dried up as the tins don't seal well.
Give it a whirl!

Pen Zen

Yes Mal, it could work on a pen. A little more tricky due to the small diameter with stamps and punches. A pen with a little more meat is helpful. Pyrography is an option. Another consideration is your clear top coat and compatibility with the guilding paste.
I think it would look great on a Black TI Zen or a Pro X pen. Another thought is one of the George or similar Roller ball pens in the finish that looks like pewter.
Yes, different metallic guilding pastes are available. I have silver, copper and sovereign gold. All from Goldfinger.
The guilding paste in the little tins (like shoe polish)dried up as the tins don't seal well.
Give it a whirl!

Maybe try storing the tins in a zip lock bag. Be sure to squeeze all of the air out when sealing.

I really like the look and will be researching further. Is there a tutorial you could recommend?

Last edited:

magpens

Maybe try storing the tins in a zip lock bag. Be sure to squeeze all of the air out when sealing.

I wonder if it is worth buying a vacuum sealer outfit for this and other such uses.

They are available at various places and they are under $100. Could be useful.

Charlie_W

Pen Zen and Mal,
The guilding paste I am using is Goldfinger which comes in a tube and i have had no issues with it at all. It is a very good product.
The tins I mentioned were a different brand. I don't know if sealing them in a bag would do the trick or not as there is still air in the tin. A piece of plastic under the lid may help the most. Not sure about the vacuum sealing.

Nick is working with Chroma Craft with a new line of paints and has a Sunset Viking Bowl Kit which includes the guilding paste, dyes, sealer, top coat and directions. These are all made by the same company and are formulated to play nicely together and not have compatibility issues as when using different brands of products.
https://www.chroma-craft.com/
There is a pic of his finished bowl on their site and the kit is available there as well.
There are some videos out there of him doing his bowl as well.
Also, check out April's issue of the AAW Journal for a feature article about Nick and his expertise in the field of embellishment and creativity in wood art.

Top Bottom