Trying a little knife work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

So I haven't had much gumption to get on the lathe lately but I have been playing around with some knife stuff. The first one I made from a $1 old handmade throwing knife. I forgot to take a pic of the one I bought, which looked worse than the pic I found online, but it was basically about the same shape. I re-profiled it and put an antler handle on it. Learned a couple lessons with this first one, Lol, but the wife liked it and it's hers. Lol As I don't have any forging equipment, I'll probably just stay to making a few with handles for gifts for Christmas. Oh yea, Gonna make one for myself using a Damascus blade. Hope it turns out. Lol
Throwing knife.jpg

Done 1.jpg

So this one, I just bought the blade online and put a handle on it.
Done Left.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

So I haven't had much gumption to get on the lathe lately but I have been playing around with some knife stuff. The first one I made from a $1 old handmade throwing knife. I forgot to take a pic of the one I bought, which looked worse than the pic I found online, but it was basically about the same shape. I re-profiled it and put an antler handle on it. Learned a couple lessons with this first one, Lol, but the wife liked it and it's hers. Lol As I don't have any forging equipment, I'll probably just stay to making a few with handles for gifts for Christmas. Oh yea, Gonna make one for myself using a Damascus blade. Hope it turns out. Lol
View attachment 224289
View attachment 224290

So this one, I just bought the blade online and put a handle on it.
View attachment 224291
Seriously nice work sir.

Dale Allen

Way cool! I would really like to spend a few hours learning your finishing process on the steel.
I am working on setting up a forge for this winter and I know my profiling and finishing will be the biggest challenge.
Any hints you can give me?
Really nice work on those.

bsshog40

That first one is the only blade I did to a mirror finish. To be honest, just watched a few youtube videos. Once I had the profile cut, that's when I started sanding. All I had for profiling is a grinder and a couple different sanders. I drew the profile I wanted on the old blade with a marker. Then just grinded away until I got it where I wanted. The rest was finish sanding to even everything out. I have one of those HF oscillating sanders and it actually works pretty good for profiling the blade and handles. Then I hand sanded the blade starting with 120 grit. Then I just went up with it. 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and then used my micro mesh all the way to 12000. The shavings will clog the sandpaper so you need to make sure you keep your sandpaper clean or the shavings will just make new scratches. After I sanded, I still went in and buffed the blade using white compound and then a clean buffing wheel. Luckily Tom, (WolfCreekKnives), helped me with a few pointers also.
On another note, I have 2 sets of micro mesh so these I used here will not be used on my pens anymore. Lol
The second had the satin finish and I liked it, so it only took a little buffing to brighten the satin.
I am brand new to this so I could be doing things the hard way or even the wrong way. Lol There are some great videos on youtube also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom