Trustworthy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmtpapa

I recently bought 3 label cast pen blanks from my normal supplier. Both she and I checked the IAP brushesNtubes listing for the pen (a Berea Electra). It's an Elèctra Rollerball. WRONG! No recourse except to ask customer for extension and reorder sending correct tubes.

Is this indicative that I cannot use the information? I'm really pretty pissed about it, but it's not life ending. If it's other than Sierra or bolt action I'm going to sceptic.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Generally the information in the app and the charts in the Library is accurate. There are times when makers change up their stuff without any warning to anyone and you have to deal with it.

Since all the information is complied for us by one member on his own and another couple guys created the app using his data for us it is amazing that it is available at all.

Welcome to the forum.

Cmtpapa

I hope no one thinks I'm denigrating the app or the people who have taken their time to compile the information. That was not my intent.
I AM appreciative of the information and it is especially helpful when I need "families" of blanks to see the similarities and differences.
To any I offended I humbly apologize.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Oliver! Sorry to hear your problems. I do want to reiterate what Pete wrote. I have been on this forum for the most part of 15 years (next month) and reading others occasional rants when manufacturers from overseas change specs without warning and often don't even notify their customers - whom we buy from. Sorry it happened to you.

But . . . WELCOME! Keep posting.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you want to make a special pen, buy the kit FIRST!! Then measure yourself--you can be sure your parts will all fit or you can only blame your own mistakes. (horrors!!)

There are MANY changes in the past couple years, which will not yet be reflected in the IAP app. Like Hank, I have been around long enough to remember NO reference chart--I helped build the one that led to the ap, but that was at least half a decade ago!! Many changes are made by manufacturers--they don't even tell their resellers (ExoticBlanks), so we only find out when customers report a "change"--usually phrased just like your opening question.

Changes are NOT numerous, so they have little effect EXCEPT when it affects YOUR project!!! Measure the parts yourself, BEFORE making a blank or using a "purchased" blank.

magpens

Hi Oliver, and Welcome To IAP !!!

Another thing you can do to avoid possible (unlikely) similar disappointment in future is to post a question on the forum about measurements that you think might be critical to your project. . A lot of us sort of "thrive" on dealing with minute details relating to pen making and would only be too happy to try to check things out for you.

I am surprised that you had a problem with the Berea Electra kit. . I have been making those for many years and have had no problems.
Perhaps my stock of kits is old now and perhaps Berea has made some changes that I don't know about. . If that is the case then asking me about the Electra would have resulted in misleading info from me as well. . So no system is actually bullet-proof and the procedure suggested by Ed above would be better ... buy the kit first, make the measurements, and order the blanks and other requirements after doing that.

Sorry to hear that you have had these problems.

By the way, which particular measurement or specification relating to the Electra did you find to be in error ?

We (or you) could pass that info along to the person who manages the data for the App. . In that way, other members could be helped.

Cmtpapa

Hi Oliver, and Welcome To IAP !!!

Another thing you can do to avoid possible (unlikely) similar disappointment in future is to post a question on the forum about measurements that you think might be critical to your project. . A lot of us sort of "thrive" on dealing with minute details relating to pen making and would only be too happy to try to check things out for you.

I am surprised that you had a problem with the Berea Electra kit. . I have been making those for many years and have had no problems.
Perhaps my stock of kits is old now and perhaps Berea has made some changes that I don't know about. . If that is the case then asking me about the Electra would have resulted in misleading info from me as well. . So no system is actually bullet-proof and the procedure suggested by Ed above would be better ... buy the kit first, make the measurements, and order the blanks and other requirements after doing that.

Sorry to hear that you have had these problems.

By the way, which particular measurement or specification relating to the Electra did you find to be in error ?

We (or you) could pass that info along to the person who manages the data for the App. . In that way, other members could be helped.

size of brass is smaller than the .4 measurement given. Length is fine.

magpens

@Cmtpapa

Thanks for your reply, Oliver. . I just measured about 8 Electra pen tubes that I bought as spares from Berea about 6 years ago.

They all measure 0.404" in diameter with a good quality, fairly new caliper that I feel I can rely on (properly zeroed beforehand). .
I see that the App specifies 0.400" diam.. . I am not too concerned by the difference between that and my meas.
The Berea website gives the recommended drill size as 10.5 mm which converts to 0.413".
All this pretty much jibes with my experience and usage.

I wonder if Berea has changed the brass tube diameter.

You say that the brass tubes (in the kits you bought) are smaller in diameter than the value of 0.400" given in the App.
Would you be able to measure their diameter, please ? . Or maybe you don't have a caliper.

Or, if you measure the internal diameter of the tubes embedded in the blanks you bought, that would be OK also.

I measure the internal diameter of my tubes to be 0.381", and the wall thickness of the brass tube measures as 0.012".
Those measurements are pretty consistent with the O.D. of 0.404" that I measured.

Hubert H

Life! Sometimes it takes a sharp right turn when I want to go left. I have been here 9 years and really appreciate IAP.

Top Bottom