True or old wives tale.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew Arndts

buddy of mine gave me an 18"X3/4 of Snake wood. He told me that if I got stuck with a simple sliver from it, it would cause that area of my skin to fester within seconds. Is this a fact or old wives tale? Is there other woods out there that would cause similar issues.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

Andrew, I started getting blisters on my arms a couple of YEARS ago and no one could figure it out. I went to my doctor, who refered my to a dermatologist (sp?), who tested me for so many things including skin cancer. Thankfully it wasn't that, but still no answer. On a routine visit back to my doc, I gave him one of my pens. After his very animated thank-you and showing it off to peole in his office, all of a sudden he became deathly silent and slowly turned to me. He put the 2 + 2 together and figured it out that I was alergic to many of the woods I was turning. The chips/dust, etc., combined with sweat, just ate away at my skin. I now where either long sleeves or these surgical sleeves he gave me.
I turned snakewood often, as I got a great deal on the stuff. Probably one of the culprits.

workinforwood

Could be true, but can't possibly be true for everyone. Some people have much higher tolerances for certain things. Some people look at poison ivy and break out, others like me can use it as toilet paper, no problem...other than it doesn't get you too clean of course. DAMHIKT !

I have gotten lots of slivers from Wenge. It's one of those woods that likes to poke you. I don't get big blisters or any issues right away, but every time I do get a sliver from Wenge, it gets a small infection after about a day. Other woods, like a sliver from plywood or maple..rarely ever an issue..pull out the sliver, heals in a day or two.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't get complacent

Could be true, but can't possibly be true for everyone. Some people have much higher tolerances for certain things. Some people look at poison ivy and break out, others like me can use it as toilet paper, no problem...other than it doesn't get you too clean of course. DAMHIKT !

I have gotten lots of slivers from Wenge. It's one of those woods that likes to poke you. I don't get big blisters or any issues right away, but every time I do get a sliver from Wenge, it gets a small infection after about a day. Other woods, like a sliver from plywood or maple..rarely ever an issue..pull out the sliver, heals in a day or two.

That can end at any time and very suddenly. For years I had no reaction to poison ivy...then one day. OOPs I got a real dose.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
So Smitty, do you have blisters on your bum?:eek:

I think you and Jeff need to start using the correct tool for the job!!:tongue:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
nah

So Smitty, do you have blisters on your bum?:eek:

I think you and Jeff need to start using the correct tool for the job!!:tongue:
Nah --- we had a two holer and being upper class we used the index pages from the Sears, Roebuck and Company catalog for that function.

buddy of mine gave me an 18"X3/4 of Snake wood. He told me that if I got stuck with a simple sliver from it, it would cause that area of my skin to fester within seconds. Is this a fact or old wives tale? Is there other woods out there that would cause similar issues.

I can't comment on the Snake wood...I don't think I have any reaction to it and can't remember if any of the splinters I've gotten has been from this particular wood or not... haven't had any fester either, since I stop and get them out pretty quckly..... I do know I use very little Snakewood as it tends to crack... it's gorgeous wood though..

I turn in a long sleeve smock that has a velcro strip to tighten the collar around my neck and knit cuffs on the sleeves.... I wound with a nasty rash on my chest from one of the woods I turn, still don't know which one, so no gamble with any of them... if I have a lathe tool in my hand, I'm covered with the smock.. when it's over 100 degrees in my shop, that smock gets hot, but I would rather be a little warm than to have to go through that itching again. :biggrin:

Top Bottom