Tru-Oil as a pen finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBidinger

Tru-Oil needs to have many coats applied allowing them to dry in between. If you have the time and patience it should turn out very nice. I have not tried it on pens but have used it to refinish several gunstocks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If it works on a guitar, it should work on a pen. Both are handled considerably, and sweaty palms are all over both. The one drawback for pens is simply having patience. One can drill a blank, cut it where it needs to be cut, insert and glue the tube, turn it and sand it ready for finishing in an hour or two - on simple blanks and pens. Then to take a few weeks for finishing - it may seem like overkill to most people, or at least too much disproportion in time attributed to the finish side.

Still, if it works on Guitars, it should on pens.

If it works on a guitar, it should work on a pen. Both are handled considerably, and sweaty palms are all over both. The one drawback for pens is simply having patience. One can drill a blank, cut it where it needs to be cut, insert and glue the tube, turn it and sand it ready for finishing in an hour or two - on simple blanks and pens. Then to take a few weeks for finishing - it may seem like overkill to most people, or at least too much disproportion in time attributed to the finish side.

Still, if it works on Guitars, it should on pens.
Thanks! That was my thought as well. I'm new to pens and still trying to find that "perfect" finish.

Top Bottom