Trivia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

IAP 2011 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST-1 FEB QUESTION
(use this for the title block and then delete)

Welcome
to the First day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest by 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and one winner selected. The winners will be the first entry selected at random that is valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winner will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Email your answer to: trivia@penturners.org

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 1 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

The prize you will be competing for today is:

TBD - Only one winner so make your answer good.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 1.....

Russ Fairfield made 4 basic pen styles from the slim-line kit. Name those 4 basic pen styles...

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 1 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!:wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Looks good James. Chris just became a member of, "The Club" and will probably be checking in here shortly. I am sure you guys will do a great job with this.

Phunky_2003

Day 1. Russ Fairfield made 4 pen styles from the slim-line kit. Name those 4 pen styles.

A. Slim-line, Russ-line, Fat-line, Long-line

Day 2. According to the IAP Privacy Policy. What 2 items must you provide in your profile to sell?

A. Real Name and Location

Day 3. What state has the most local IAP chapters?

A. Texas

Day 4. According to "The Acrylic Revolution" what year was bakelite patened?

A. 1909

Day 5. What provides you access to IAP-Wiki?

A. Your IAP account

Day 6. In "Behind The Lathe-Anthony Turchetta" what did Anthony Turchetta say his favorite material to work with was?

A. Ebonite

Day 7. The IAP was founded by what 2 members?

A. Jeff - Jeff Brown Scott - Scott Greaves

Day 8. According to the Penturners.org Terms of Service what is the age restriction?

A. Over the age of 13

Day 9. What is Step 1 in the tutorial "Casting Feather Blanks" by Shane Whitlock?

A. Turn some plugs

Day 10. What is the pen goal ServicePens: Pens for Servicemen?

A. 5000 pens

Day 11. Who is the Product Reviews Manager?

A. Neil Pabia - Wolftat

Day 12. One member joined on 09-01-2007. What is that members user name?

A. Philbaldwin

Day 13. How many links are listed under Reference & Education?

A. 9

Day 14. What does the acronym "WEPYPFI" stand for in regardds to this forum?

A. Worth Every Penny You Paid For It

Day 15. What post has the most views in the "Forum How-To" thread?

A. Uploading Photos - Your Album

Day 16. "Toni" uses what material for making pens?

A. Polymer Clay

Who has had more than one pen in the featured photos in 2010?
Toni, toddajolie

According to IAP members, what it the average dollar amount of pens sold in 2010?
Hobby, under $1000

Perhaps a question about the cat crap pen?

At some point we need to discuss the nuts and bolts of running the contest. I'm not that computer literate, it there a way to save the page so we only have to change a few things to post for the next day? I'm not usually near a computer during the day on Tuesday's and Thursday's otherwise my schedule is fairly flexible.

mbroberg

"Day 2. According to the IAP Privacy Policy. What 2 items must you provide in your profile to sell?

A. Real Name and Location"

These same requirements must also be met in order to participate in IAP Activities, including Birthday Bash activities.

Phunky_2003

Chris,

You can copy and paste the 2nd post here, change the date in the appropriate places and add in the question for that day in the appropriate place. That is why I added that post so it would be easier to locate each day.

As far as the nuts and bolts. I havent been in any communication really. The way I figured it would run would be we would have an email set up for us. The answers would come to that email. After selecting the winner, we would then make another post announcing the winner. Ed will then have them select a number and that coorelates with a prize which Ed will announce.

If there is a way to take some of the pressure and work off Ed, doing it a better way then we can come up with something. Maybe Ed needs to let us know if he can think of a better way to improve this year. Also Ed, is there a better way to keep track of the prizes and followups? Last year I helped with that, maybe someway to improve from beginning to end?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Day 2. According to the IAP Privacy Policy. What 2 items must you provide in your profile to sell?

A. Your FULL Real Name and Location (including city and state)

Phunky_2003

Day 17. What is the goal of the IAP?

A. The goal of the IAP is to give pen makers a place to enhance their skills, share experiences, and promote the art of pen making.

Day 18. Who has had more than one pen in the featured photos in 2010?

A. Toni, Toddajolie

Day 19. According to IAP members, what it the average dollar amount of pens sold in 2010?

A. Hobby, under $1000

Day 20. What is the species of wood Pterocarpus indicus more commonly known as?

A. Amboyna burl

Day 21. In the Community Forum, which forum can only be viewed when you are logged in?

A. Marketing and shows

Day 22. How many local chapters are there?

A. 27 (Verify and count that day)

Day 23. Who was the freestyle pen winner last year?

A. Mredburn

Day 24. Who wrote "Behind The Nib"?

A. Lou Metcalf

Day 25. According to Gerry Rhoades what are the 2 important aspects in taking a good photo?

A. Correct exposure and correct white balance.

Day 26. To start a local chapter how many people do you need?

A. 5

Day 27. "Single Barrel Finial Twist Parker Pen" was inspired by who?

A. Luther Bryan (Butch)

Day 28. What is the date of the latest version of IAP Wood & Alternative Materials Chart?

A. Oct. 2, 2010 (Verify date when asking)

Phunky_2003

The winner of the Day 1 contest is:

IAP username - Add username here

Add question and answer here!

Prizes are numbered from 1-15. The winner must post on this thread a number between 1 and 15. That number will correspond to the prize with the matching number. The actual prize will be announced within 24 hours.

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

This can be copy and pasted to announce winner. Change the date at top, add in username, add question and answer.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Wouldn't it be easier on Ed to just assign the prizes to a date, and not have to deal with the random number generator? The luck of the draw in which day you know the right answer and are picked will determine your prize.

That will avoid having to communicate with Ed during the bash beyond just giving him the address of the winner....or better yet, Ed can give the contact info for each prize to the prize manager, and then he just has to supervise...

The 'random number' prize is just one extra hassle, and I don't know that it's worth it...

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
(Just an experiment - I have trouble reading the bright, off-set scripts above, so I'm just seeing what it looks like in plain script below)
------------------------------------------

The winner of the Day 1 contest is:

IAP username - Add username here

Add question and answer here!

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

mbroberg

Only the ones that you and Jame think are necessary. I'm not sure if Jeff or Curtis can set a trivia@iap.org mailbox up for you or if you will have to set up a gmail account.

Do you want a time deadline each day for the answers to be submitted (i.e. All guesses for daily trivia questions must be submitted by 10:00pm EST on the day the question is posted.

You may want to emphasize that answers are not to be posted on the forum for all to see. It won't matter, someone will anyway, but you should at least post it.

1, Only one answer per question.
2, You may enter every day, But you can only win once.
3, Answer must be submitted to the email account NOT posted on the forum.
4, The first right answer will be the winner.
5, Answers must be submitted by 9:00 EST

Which one of us will be posting the questions?
Will we be getting a list of prizes so we can post what is the prize for that day?

Phunky_2003

I dont see why it needs to be changed from last year. Those rules are copy and pasted above. First answer doesnt work due to time differences.

Mike -- I made a gmail account that can be used if necessary. iaptrivia2011@gmail..com I can forward whoever needs the password so they can get in.

Ed was working on the prizes. They can be awarded whichever way is easiest for him. If he wants to make a master list for each day we can announce the winners and just forward to Ed the winners address.

Whatever works best for everyone else is fine with me. I am here daily lurking in the shadows.

Phunky_2003

Welcome
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest by 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and one winner selected. The winners will be the first entry selected at random that is valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winner will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Email your answer to: Iap2011trivia@gmail.com

TBD - Two winners selected by random daily.

Question for day 1.....

Russ Fairfield made 4 basic pen styles from the slim-line kit. Name those 4 basic pen styles...

Email your answer to: Iaptrivia2011@gmail.com

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!:wink:

Phunky_2003

Chris you can copy and paste the above post day one set up. All we have to do is change the date and question daily.

This has the email address were using on it. And changed from one prize to two prizes this year.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, I came late to the party----

Unless directed otherwise, we will use the "number in a hat" method again. For a couple reasons--first and foremost--we get extra prizes during February. People decide to "help" and we need a place to put those prizes. With the number system, I can double up the smaller prizes once we know for certain we will make the 28 days.

Also when I can "advertise" that there are four or five REALLY NICE prizes left, more people seem to participate. While I don't think we have kept records, last year I was told we were getting about 100 a day, routinely. When Randy ran it the year before, I think he said he was getting 60 or so (prizes were known in advance). Is that just membership growth?? Or did the possibly large prize play a part? I sure don't know---but it is more flexible.

As far as getting the names, that is not difficult with the trivia. Don't worry about providing them for me, my "army of volunteers" will follow the prizes this year.

If you'd like a little insight into the numbers, here it is:

Andrew "dug up" 124 prizes (as of Sunday, Jan 30 noon).
I have NO IDEA HOW he finds that many, but the guy is AMAZING!!!! Without his efforts, the bash would be far less interesting---we all owe him our GREATEST THANKS!!

Now, Jeff's donation drawing will have 12 REALLLY NICE prizes.

The contests have requested 32 prizes---these are assigned, none has a value LESS than $50. (Even third place)

That leaves us 80 prizes to use during the bash (I believe this is the largest number EVER---I know it is a lot more than last year or the prior year!!)

56 of the 80 will do two trivia prizes per day. Then we have the "losers contest" if we want to do that again. Or, we can double up in the latter days of the trivia---or I am open to suggestions.

So, that's where we stand. Please don't worry about distribution. I have a learning curve and this is the third chance at doing this. If I can't make it easy by now, I deserve to have it difficult-------I am NOT worried, this year.

Again, sorry I have not responded to this thread earlier, but I have been "playing with prizes" since Friday morning, pretty consistently. I am fairly happy with the end result. Hope you will be too!!!!!

Ed

Phunky_2003

Can somebody make us a subforum in the birthday bash folder to keep all the trivia stuff in one place? It was easier last year and kept the other folders clean.

Should we create a new thread each day for the trivia contest or just keep adding to one thread?

Later tonight I'm going to practice editing and moving the trivia post so we are ready for the big show.

Phunky_2003

Welcome
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

TBD - Two winners selected by random daily.

Question for day 1.....

Phunky_2003

Updated again with IAP address for trivia.

Chris just trying to help you out a bit. Dont worry about anything I am sure you will do fine. If you have any problems I will be around to help just yell.

Attention all IAP members,
Tomorrow starts the beginning of the trivia contest. Start searching through the areas of the site and look for things that you never knew were there, they may come in handy during the month. All correct answers will be entered into the "hat" to win TWO that's right TWO daily prizes.

Top Bottom