Trivia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Becca and Chuck,

Would you be interested in helping with the Trivia Contest? I know Randy has been in charge of it for the last few Bashes, but I haven't heard back from him on this year.

Becca, you probably know more about the contest than anyone else on board so far, so any advice you can give as to questions, number of people needed, and so forth would be appreciated.

Does this sound good/possible?

Getting enough small prizes for daily trivial prizes is a pain. I think Ed and Andrew will agree with me on that issue. What do you think about placing the names of all of the Daily Trivia winners in a hat for a drawing of a bigger/better prize?

Let me know what the group thinks on this, please.

William/Cav

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Another thought......what about placing the names of the Trivia winners for a week in a hat and drawing one. This way there are 4 winners for the month, more than one but much less than 28.

wudnhed

Becca and Chuck,

Would you be interested in helping with the Trivia Contest? I know Randy has been in charge of it for the last few Bashes, but I haven't heard back from him on this year.

Becca, you probably know more about the contest than anyone else on board so far, so any advice you can give as to questions, number of people needed, and so forth would be appreciated.

Does this sound good/possible?

Getting enough small prizes for daily trivial prizes is a pain. I think Ed and Andrew will agree with me on that issue. What do you think about placing the names of all of the Daily Trivia winners in a hat for a drawing of a bigger/better prize?

Let me know what the group thinks on this, please.

William/Cav

Love to help anyway I can William, but don't feel I'm experienced enough to come up with good questions:frown:. I guess we could submit questions and enter them on this thread. I don't really have enough time to actually run a contest because of sitting for our granddaughter 3 days a week away from home. I ran the Trivia a few years ago by myself and felt it was a disaster so two or more people working on it is a good idea. Let's see, didn't 4 people each take a week last year? I thought that worked well, then one person only has to come up with 7 questions and keep track of 7 winners for the hat at the end of the week.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just found this thread William . I'm in , and willing to help out . Could work with Becca however needed . I can come up with some questions OK , but like Becca , wouldn't want to do a whole months worth . Keep in mind , this will be my first time on this side of the fence . :redface:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another thought......what about placing the names of the Trivia winners for a week in a hat and drawing one. This way there are 4 winners for the month, more than one but much less than 28.

Last year there were TWO a day, not 28, FIFTY SIX!!!

IF it is run the same way, two people will be drafted to award prizes. Of course, this assumes Andrew will, once again, FIND 56 prizes for this ONE contest.

See why I keep saying Andrew works really hard?????

Last year we gave away over 150 prizes in total, about $8000, close as I could figure. That's a LOT of donating (armtwisting)!!

wudnhed

Ed, Jeff kinda sorta indicated that he would like to see bigger prizes with fewer winners (if I'm not mistaken). I thought maybe the Trivia would be a good place to start. If there were 1st 2nd and 3rd place winners that would cut the prizes down to 12 for the month. Wondering if members with the most correct answers for the week could be thrown "in the hat" and drawn at the end of each week. Just thinking out loud......

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Since you can't HEAR my inflections, I should probably state this clearly: I am agnostic on the prize situation. Seems like Andrew is also. Basically, the purpose of the bash is to have a good time and "push" membership. ANY WAY you want to do that is fine with me. If you (all people concerned) want to award a thousand prizes and Andrew is willing to find them, I will get them to the correct people (through my multiple assistants).

However, if there is going to be a philosophy of fewer, nicer prizes---someone probably ought to clue Andrew BEFORE he starts "putting the arm on" our suppliers.

In the ideal world, we would decide which contests will be run and how many prizes will be awarded for each, then decide the dollar level of the "appropriate" prize(s). This would make Becca's task MUCH simpler, assuming Andrew asks each donor for a "donor value", you could just match up everything.

More musings--no particular purpose.

Maybe Jeff is in Vegas booking the "dancing girls" for the bash???

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Still recovering from that nasty flu bug - slowed me down a LOT....that's why I'm quiet lately!

Most of the vendors last year gave very nice prizes...there were a few low dollar ones, which we didn't actually use...I think they were $5 gift certificates? Other than that, the membership donated a lot of 'boxes of blanks' - which are notoriously hard to put a value on...

Do we want to have more, or less, member donated prizes this year? They're good for filling in the gaps later - if we need more prizes, I can just ask for ten assorted boxes of blanks from the membership...

I never really know what the response will be until I start asking for donations...the only issue is that the bash has been pushed back a month, so I want to wait a week or two before I start canvassing, or it'll be months of waiting for a prize to be donated for some of these vendors...I want to make the donation process as easy as possible for them!

As far as number of prizes goes, we can figure that out later...if I start posting too many prizes, just tell me to slow down! :)

Andrew

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Andrew,

I hope you are continuing to get better. Becca is right, Jeff wants to push for fewer overall contests with larger, "nicer" prizes. I like the idea of qualifying for prizes by winning the daily trivia contests. If we have 2 contests per day for 6 days, then we could "draw" a winner on the 7th day and there would be a one in twelve chance of winning a prize.

I will contact Randy to see if he is willing to head up the trivia contest again.

wudnhed

I think it would be excellent to get the contests figured out with how many winners for each, soon. Then Andrew knows how many prizes to get, with extra boxes of blanks for emergencies. It might be a good idea for each contest co-ordinator to post his or her contest with how many winners. I think Ed said this in a different way, is it muddy enough for you??????:eek::rolleyes::biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom