Trivia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looking at some of the comments people made I think there are some ideas that we should pay attention to.
Having to go to a vendors website for answers could work, but equal opportunity could be an issue. Maybe questions about general products could work.
How hard the questions are does depend on how well you know how to use search engines.
I think one trivia win per bash might be a good idea.
I think one of the goals of the trivia contest is to make people look into areas of the site that they may not know are there or how to use them.
We should start to come up with questions early so we can see if there could be any confusion as to what the answer might be. The more complicated the question the more PM's you will get.
If you have questions for the trivia contest go ahead and post them in this thread. If we have more than 28 we can pick the best and save the rest for next year.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I have no problem with a one trivia win per BASH for any individual. I like using trivia to cause people to explore the Library, the Terms of Service and The Acceptable Use Policy. People find things that they never knew were there.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just wanted to chime in on this one with a word of caution, but you all may have already considered. In the past there have been complaints about our questions being trick questions. Makes me reluctant to even try to come up with ANY questions. BUT, I will if needed.

Question 1, Who are the site moderators? Mesquite man (Curtis Seebeck), Alphageek (Dean Charlier) and, Maxwell smart007 (Andrew Jordan)

Question 2, How many different pen makers have had their work shown in featured pens in 2012? 17, There are 18 pictures but martin pens was featured twice.

Question 3, What is the IAP wiki mission statement? THe wiki is established to publish information that is gleaned from the message board at IAP and our user community. Our goal is to minimize conjecture and maximize facts to assist pen crafters in the creation of beautiful, useful, and reliable writing instruments.

Question 4, If you are sending pens to "Service pens 2013" what is the zip code you will send them to? 32904

Question 5, What is the maximum allowable size of your avitar? 100x100 pixels or 24.0 KB

If you are reading this please try find the answers on your own and see if they match the answers posted and let me know what you think.

PR_Princess

I think there are a fair number of new members the last few months - lol or at least seems that way. So I think Trivia how to find your way around might be of benefit.

Maybe questions pulled from Jeff's How To Vids in the Forum Tips? ( I seem to notice more thumbs from the new guys instead of full size images)

Questions on searching?...Maybe one where they can only find the answer by using the Google search on the home page?

...How do you imbed a you tube?
...How do you do a multi post quote?
...In what other social media locations will you find the IAP?

Just thinking out loud ..feel free to ignore!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The concept of using Jeff's vids is a GREAT idea!!

Now, Jeff---how about another 50 :eek::eek::eek:or so, to make it more difficult!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(Seriously, I like the vid idea--even if he's only got a paltry few)

Like those ideas, Might need some help phrasing the question and the answer. If I turn my computer off and I get it turned on again I consider it a personal victory.

mbroberg

What is the MAPG?
Mid-Atlantic Pen Gathering

When is the MAPG?
May 17 & 18, 2013

Where will the MAPG be held?
Woodcraft of Richmond
9862 West Broad Street
Glen Allen, VA 23060

What IAP member is promoting the MAPG?
Bruce Robbins (BRobbins629)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A couple of Q&A's

1: Q: Who are the Moderators listed in the Library?

A: Wracinowski, Maxwell Smart, Alphageek. Mesquite Man

2: Q: Who is the Local Chapter Coordinator?

A: Neil Pabia or (Wolftat)

I'll try to come with some others later. Use these if you want, or not.

Question 1, Who are the site moderators? Mesquite man (Curtis Seebeck), Alphageek (Dean Charlier) and, Maxwell smart007 (Andrew Jordan)

Question 2, How many different pen makers have had their work shown in featured pens in 2012? 17, There are 18 pictures but martin pens was featured twice.

Question 3, What is the IAP wiki mission statement? THe wiki is established to publish information that is gleaned from the message board at IAP and our user community. Our goal is to minimize conjecture and maximize facts to assist pen crafters in the creation of beautiful, useful, and reliable writing instruments.

Question 4, If you are sending pens to "Service pens 2013" what is the zip code you will send them to? 32904

Question 5, What is the maximum allowable size of your avitar? 100x100 pixels or 24.0 KB

Question 6, Complete the sentence. Members of IAP/Penturners.org may use the logo for...
non profit purposes

Question 7, According to the acceptable use policy why should you use descriptive topic subjects? This helps others use the search function to find what they are looking for.

Question 8, Who is the library manager? wrancinowski, Wayne Rainowski

Question 9, Who is the local chapter coordinator? wolftat, Niel Pabia

Question 10, What is the MPAG? Mid Atlantic Pen Gathering

Question 11, In the library video, Managing photo thumbnails in IAP postings where does the author say IAP headquarters is? Beautiful Westlake Ohio

Question 12, In the video, Upgrading your nib on a component fountain pen, what are the 4 parts that make up the "heart and soul" of the fountain pen? The nib, feed, housing, and the section

Question 13, In the library article, Refill dimensions, how long is a Lamy M66 retractable rollerball pen refill? 4.25" or 10.77 cm
Q

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Question 11, In the library video, Managing photo thumbnails in IAP postings where does the author say IAP headquarters is? Beautiful Westlake Ohio
Will we accept Westlake Ohio or will it have to be Beautiful Westlake Ohio?

Here a few more suggestions for questions:
On day one, use this question:
Q - What MUST be in your profile to participate in the Bash?
A - To participate in IAP activities your Public Profile (which is ONLY accessible to other members, not the public in general) must contain your real first and last name, your city and state (or equivalent) of residence and you must be able to be reached by IAP Private Message or email.

Q - Who is having a birthday today?
A - (depends on which day we use this question)

Q - On what date and time did we have the most users on line and how many were on line?
A - 01-18-2012 at 08:02 PM, 497 users online (unless it changes between now and the time we use this question)

Q - Who wrote Behind the Nib - Fountain Pen Topics and when?
A - Lou Metcalf, a.k.a. dcbluesman 2008

Will there be a list of members that will not be elligable to participate because of not fulfilling their commitments to other activities (like the PITH for example)?

Last edited:

mbroberg

Will there be a list of members that will not be elligable to participate because of not fulfilling their commitments to other activities (like the PITH for example)?

Is this a proposed Trivia Question?:biggrin:

The answer is yes!

Attachments

• IAP Non-Performance.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 123
Time is getting late and we need to decide who is going to do what. We need,
1, Someone to post the questions. This needs to be done by one person so it can be done at the same time every day.
2, Someone to check and post the winners and answers. Checking the email account, randomly picking the winner or winners checking that they have the right answer, and real name and address posted.
3, Someone to help make sure the prizes are sent and received.
4, Most importantly, we people to monitor the daily trivia thread to see if there is any confusion and if there is to point people in the right direction.
We also need an email address to send the answers to. Maybe we can find the one we have used in years past. Step right up and stake your claims.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One comment on the "moderators" questions.

Either phrase the question as "site-wide" moderators, or be prepared for a dozen answers. Several individuals moderate one or a couple forums, so you will get an argument that they ALL should be named.

As to #3 above, I will be certain someone does this. I may delegate it, but it WILL get done.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Q - On what date and time did we have the most users on line and how many were on line?
A - 01-18-2012 at 08:02 PM, 497 users online (unless it changes between now and the time we use this question)

I know this is what the front page says, but check with Jeff---I believe this is a computer glitch---it never happened!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Question 6, Complete the sentence. Members of IAP/Penturners.org may use the logo for...
non profit purposes

This would imply you cannot use it for your "profit-making" pen sales site. In fact, you can. So the answer is misleading.

Chris, I really am NOT trying to nitpick----I have watched the trivia for 4 years so I can award the prizes each day. I have seen the ridiculous arguments some will bring up. I'd rather tell you now, in the planning forum than watch you "take the hit" when the bash players BASH the questions.

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
2: Q: Who is the Local Chapter Coordinator?

A: Neil Pabia or (Wolftat)

Again, check with Jeff, but I believe Neil has requested Jeff find a replacement. Don't know if the position is officially open, or what the correct answer would be.

Come on Ed, You're taking all the drama out of it. :biggrin: This is exactly why I want others to look at the questions and see what issues might come up. It's better to do this now that the day the question is posted.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have no problem with a one trivia win per BASH for any individual. I like using trivia to cause people to explore the Library, the Terms of Service and The Acceptable Use Policy. People find things that they never knew were there.

I agree that we should limit the prizes for one individual---but there is nothing limiting it now. So, this would need to be written into the rules, somewhere---

Does it need discussion, or are you planning to change it, Mike?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would suggest adding a couple questions based on "behind the nib". Recently, I have had a lot of questions asked of me regarding pen nibs---everyone should READ what Lou wrote.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Time is getting late and we need to decide who is going to do what. We need,
1, Someone to post the questions. This needs to be done by one person so it can be done at the same time every day.
2, Someone to check and post the winners and answers. Checking the email account, randomly picking the winner or winners checking that they have the right answer, and real name and address posted.
3, Someone to help make sure the prizes are sent and received.
4, Most importantly, we people to monitor the daily trivia thread to see if there is any confusion and if there is to point people in the right direction.
We also need an email address to send the answers to. Maybe we can find the one we have used in years past. Step right up and stake your claims.

I'll do #2 as long as there is a backup in case something comes up and I can't do it on a specific day.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I make my own schedule everyday. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I'm usually available around noon every day to post answers and winners, but last year, there were a couple of days that something came up and I was not able to post.

mbroberg

I've been retired a little over 6 months now and am beginning to understand the language of retirement. For the benefit of thise yet to experience the freedom of retirement I have interpreted Mannie's post so you may better understand.

I'm usually available (awake and out of bed) around noon every day to post answers and winners, but last year, there were a couple of days that something came up (I decided to sleep in) and I was not able to post.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've been retired a little over 6 months now and am beginning to understand the language of retirement. For the benefit of thise yet to experience the freedom of retirement I have interpreted Mannie's post so you may better understand.

I'm usually available (awake and out of bed) around noon every day to post answers and winners, but last year, there were a couple of days that something came up (I decided to sleep in) and I was not able to post.

aetsch.gif
aetsch.gif
aetsch.gif
:biggrin:

Some changes have been made, and here are a few more to check out.

Question 1, Who are the site wide moderators? Mesquite man (Curtis Seebeck), Alphageek (Dean Charlier) and, Maxwell smart007 (Andrew Jordan)

Question 6, Who wrote "Behind the nib" fountain pen topics?
Lou Metcalf/ bluesman

Question 7, According to the acceptable use policy why should you use descriptive topic subjects? This helps others use the search function to find what they are looking for.

Question 8, Who is the library manager? wracinowski, Wayne Racinowski

Question 9, According to the article "Behind the nib, selecting a fountain pen" the added flexibility of a nib gives you... The ability to create multiple line widths.

Question 10, What is the MAPG? Mid Atlantic Pen Gathering

Question 12, In the video, Upgrading your nib on a component fountain pen, what are the 4 parts that make up the "heart and soul" of the fountain pen? The nib, feed, housing, and the section

Question 13, In the library article, Refill dimensions, how long is a Lamy M66 retractable rollerball pen refill? 4.25" or 10.77 cm

Question 14, In the library article "Behind the nib, adjusting ink flow", bending the nibs down closes the gap and... Reduces the ink flow.

Question 15, In the library article "Behind the nib, your reservoir is it full or partly full" Regardless of your filler system, when filling your pen, make sure the nib is... Fully submerged (past the vent hole) in the ink.

Question 16, Who wrote the article, Pen wizard start up tips?
Bob Hewson

Question 17, In the article, Uploading photos to your member album, what is step 5?
Fill in a title and description, then click the upload button.

Question 18, In the article "behind the nib, nib adjustment", you should examine the tines and make sure they are on the same plane and... that they are very slightly separated.

Question 19, Who made the how to make a pen series?
ed4copies/ Ed Brown

Question 20, In the article, "Kitless click pen", what size tap is used for the click mechanism?
7MMx.75

sumterdad

ok chris here are the questions that I told you about.

1. In what sub-forum can you find the thread "Using the forums-video tips"
A. Forum How-To

2. To be able to run a group buy how old do you have to be.
A. 22 yrs old

3. How many local chapters are listed in the local chapters forum.
A. 31

4. In the member pen sites forum, how many links are listed.
A. 132

5. What is the charge for posting in the premium classified forum.
A. $10.00

6. Who wrote the library article "Making snake skin blanks".
A. its_virgil

7. What forum can you find the site policies.
A. Announcements and Information

8. What does DAMHIKT mean?
A. Dont Ask Me How I Know This

9. Where can you find video tutorials.
A. The Library

10. Once you make a post, what is the time limit that you have to edit that post.
A. 60 minutes

I had a few more but they were close to the ones you have already posted
let me know if this helps

Some changes have been made, and here are a few more to check out.

Question for day 1, Who are the site wide moderators?
Answer, Mesquite man (Curtis Seebeck), Alphageek (Dean Charlier) and, Maxwell smart007 (Andrew Jordan) real or screen name is OK

Question for day 2, How many different pen makers have had their work shown in featured pens in 2012?
Answer, 17, There are 18 pictures but martin pens was featured twice.

Question for day 3, What is the IAP wiki mission statement?
Answer, The wiki is established to publish information that is gleaned from the message board at IAP and our user community. Our goal is to minimize conjecture and maximize facts to assist pen crafters in the creation of beautiful, useful, and reliable writing instruments.

Question for day 4, If you are sending pens to "Service pens 2013" what is the zip code you will send them to?
Answer, 32904

Question for day 5, What is the maximum allowable size of your avatar?
Answer, 100x100 pixels or 24.0 KB

Question for day 6, Who wrote "Behind the nib" fountain pen topics?
Answer, Lou Metcalf/ dcbluesman

Question for day 7, According to the acceptable use policy why should you use descriptive topic subjects?
Answer, This helps others use the search function to find what they are looking for.

Question for day 8, Who is the library manager?
Answer, wracinowski, Wayne Racinowski

Question for day 9, According to the article "Behind the nib, selecting a fountain pen" the added flexibility of a nib gives you...
Answer, The ability to create multiple line widths.

Question for day 10, What is the MAPG?
Answer, Mid Atlantic Pen Gathering

Question for day 11, In the library video, Managing photo thumbnails in IAP postings where does the author say IAP headquarters is?
Answer, Beautiful Westlake Ohio. Westlake Ohio is fine

Question for day 12, In the video, Upgrading your nib on a component fountain pen, what are the 4 parts that make up the "heart and soul" of the fountain pen?
Answer, The nib, feed, housing, and the section

Question for day 13, In the library article, Refill dimensions, how long is a Lamy M66 retractable rollerball pen refill?
Answer, 4.25" or 10.77 cm

Question for day 14, In the library article "Behind the nib, adjusting ink flow", bending the nibs down closes the gap and...
Answer, Reduces the ink flow.

Question for day 15, In the library article "Behind the nib, your reservoir is it full or partly full" Regardless of your filler system, when filling your pen, make sure the nib is...
Answer, Fully submerged (past the vent hole) in the ink.

Question for day 16, Who wrote the article, Pen wizard start up tips?
Answer, Bob Hewson

Question for day 17, In the article, Uploading photos to your member album, what is step 5?
Answer, Fill in a title and description, then click the upload button.

Question for day 18, In the article "behind the nib, nib adjustment", you should examine the tines and make sure they are on the same plane and...
Answer, that they are very slightly separated.

Question for day 19, Who made the how to make a pen series?
Answer, ed4copies/ Ed Brown

Question for day 20, In the article, "Kitless click pen", what size tap is used for the click mechanism?
Answer, 7MMx.75

Question for day 21, To be able to run a group buy how old do you have to be?
Answer, 21 yrs old

Question for day 22, How many local chapters are listed in the local chapters forum?
Answer, 31

Question for day 23, What is the charge for posting in the premium classified forum?
Answer, $10.00

Question for day 24, Who wrote the library article "Making snake skin blanks"?
Answer, its_virgil

Question for day 25, What forum can you find the site policies.
Answer, Announcements and Information

Question for day 26, Where can you find video tutorials.
Answer, The Library

Question for day 27, Once you make a post, what is the time limit that you have to edit that post.
Answer, 60 minutes

Question for day 28, What does DAMHIKT stand for?
Answer, Don't ask me how I know this.

How do these look?

Top Bottom