Trivia Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Please look over the following questions and provide feedback on whether they are feasible or not. Thanks.

1. According to the IAP acceptable use policy, what happens if you post in a forum with a language other than English?
Answer - Material in any language other than English will be deleted.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/aup.php

2. Where is the IAP.org Safety Information Located? (put full website name/link, no shortcuts)
Answer - http://www.penturners.org/forum/safety.php

3. As of (insert date) how many local chapters are recognized in the local chapters sub-forum?
Answer – (count on the day of this question)
http://www.penturners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73
(does not include the two forums titled "Local Chapter Coordination Forum" nor "Chapter Leaders".

4. In the article written by "mickr", what is the first step in making a closed end pen on a regular mandrel?
Answer – The first step is round the blank between two centers.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/closedendpenonaregularmandrel.pdf

5. What is the procedure to donate to support the IAP?
Answer - Click the PayPal Donate button on the top left of any page.

6. According to Ron Hossack, how many pens had he made prior to writing his tutorial on the one piece cigar?
Answer – Less than 25.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/onepiececigar.pdf

7. In his article published in the IAP library in 2009, does Don Ward use vacuum or pressure during his updated casting process?
Answer – No, he has done away with both.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/casting_bubble_free.pdf

8. The Micro-Mesh Aluminum Oxide 4000 grit is equivalent to what grit under the ASNI or CAMI scale?
Answer – 1500
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=505

9. In making pen boxes, what does Serge use to help shape the felt to the grooves cut by the router?
Answer – a dowel
Page 8, http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/Pen_Boxes.pdf

10. What does John Crane use to protect the cap plating of the finial when punching it out before making his custom made finials?
Answer – A rubber washer.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/custom_finial.pdf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

We do not have to stick just to IAP stuff for trivia questions do we? I was thinking about doing research on Google for some of the questions and answers. Only problem I could think of is if someone "NEED" to see verification of an answer we could run into copyright stuff. I am new so please bear with me until I get into the swing of things. The questions you have posted all look good.

I was just looking on Google for answers to some of the questions I was thinking of and I figured out after looking up 2 diff questions that what I was planning will NOT work because there are like 5+ answers to the 2 I looked up so now I have to find a diff approach to finding questions. I will do my best.

Last edited:

Len Shreck

What about this as a Question?

What was the the most expensive pen ever made?

Answer:It's probably not the best time to be selling a diamond-covered pen. Luckily only one is for sale per year. The Aurora Diamante contains over 30 carats of De Beers diamonds on a solid platinum barrel. It has a two-tone, rhodium-treated, 18KT solid gold nib and is personalized with a coat of arms, signature or portrait. Aurora Pens says it is the only over 30 carat pen in the world. It is believed to be worth around one million euros which would make it more expensive than the Van Cleef & Arpels Mystery pen. Answer found at: www.luxist.com/2009/02/12/a-new-worlds-most-expensive-pen/

This one is EXPECTED to cost more but the price has never been told and it is not for sale to the public but here is the info: Diamante contains over 30 carats of diamonds and its creators, Aurora, aren't shy about telling you it's the only pen in the world to have so many. That's why they make one every year.

The pen is topped with a diamond cabochon—a polished, not faceted, gem—and is further decorated with almost two thousand DeBeers-certified "4 C" gems on a solid platinum barrel. Even the nib is precious, being fashioned from 18kt gold.

The asking price for the most expensive pen in the world is not available to the public, but is suspected to be around US $1.28 million. The purchaser may have the Diamante personalized with their coat of arms, signature or portrait. Answer found at: most-expensive.net/pen-world

This is the type of problem I had with some of the other questions I was looking up.

Would something like that work?

Last edited:

Len Shreck

What is the most expensive wood?
Answer: Agarwood is the most expensive, it comes from aquilaria trees.

The tree usually becomes infected with mold and produces a resin that ranges from $5,000.00+ per pound.

Ebody African Black.
Brazilian Rosewood.
Answer found at: wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_expensive_wood

Approximately when was the first Machine used to do "turnings" of wood?
Answer: The origin of turning dates to around 1300 BC when the Egyptians first developed a two-person lathe. One person would turn the wood work piece with a rope while the other used a sharp tool to cut shapes in the wood.
Answer found at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe#History

What is the best "known-design" of a type of lathe?
Answer: Lathes are used in woodturning, metalworking, metal spinning, and glassworking. Lathes can be used to shape pottery, the best-known design being the potter's wheel.
Answer found at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe#History

Are these good ones? Sorry for asking I just dont want to submit something and end up having problems arise from it. If these will work please let me know and I will do some more research and see if I can find some other stuff. Thanks Len

Last edited:

fiferb

Len,

The only problem I can see with some of these is that they are from one specific source and there is potentially other answers. The one about the pottery wheel has a reference from wikipedia which may or may not be a reliable source since they are written by just about anyone. In my opinion I would avoid using wiki as your sole source for info. My 2 cents, others may disagree. I'm just speaking from past experience where I had to defend my answer to some irate people.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
No, Len, they don't have to be IAP-only! :)

I like the 'most expensive pen' idea!

You might get some confusion from this one, however:
What is the best "known-design" of a type of lathe?

'best known' depends on the views of the article-writer in this case - and I just plain disagree with it! :) (Just my opinion, though)

Andrew

Edit: I see Bruce was typing as I was!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Bruce , I have written down my 7 Q&As along with the source . PLEASE tell me I don't have to attach URLs as you have in the threads above ! :redface:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Len,

I also would suggest avoiding Wiki as a source.

Because the authors of the information are unknown, the quality of the information is equally unknown. So, if you use that source, it is probably best to state your question as: "According to Wikipedia....." which makes the question very easily researched, doesn't it??

This is just MY opinion, not any sort of authority.

fiferb

Chuck,
No, you don't have to include the URL's. I do it in case someone wants to check it out and read more about it. Or, for the people that don't get the answer right they can go see the information.

Len Shreck

Bruce,
I am not a member of the pen turners guild, so I am not sure if I will be able to check out the site like members can. I will try and look around though.
That question about the most expensive pen is a good one and can be used right? If so how many more questions do I need to try and come up with? I will do my best, right now I am having problems at home my furnace took a **** I had a guy here at 7 am this morning looking at it, its still not fixed, its not a very good thing not having heat in the middle of January. I am not sure when or even if he will be able to get it fixed and how much it is going to cost me. Thank God I was awake when it happened otherwise we could of all died from CO poisoning. Like I said I am not sure how much time I will be able to spend doing research right now, if we end up having to move out for a while I will not have a computer to even be on but right now we have some electric heaters and a couple Kerosene heaters going but it is like 45-50 degrees in the house. OK please let me know about the questions I ask when or if you get a chance please. Thanks Len

fiferb

Len,

Sorry to hear about the heater. I hope everything works out for you. Please let us know if you're unable to help out with the trivia. If you can still make it I have you slotted for the 3rd week of February. You'll only need 7 questions and yes, if you want to use the most expensive pen question that is fine.

Len Shreck

Thanks, I will try and help the guy was here today and believe it or not he STILL wont tell me for sure what is wrong with the dam thing. I ask him if he thought we needed to just buy a whole new furnace and he wouldn't even answer me about that. I am thinking that Monday morning I will be calling someone else to check it out. The only thing he really said was he thought it would be a good idea to move in with family or friends for right now and just leave the electric heaters on so the pipes don't freeze, but I am unsure what I am going to do yet. Being set for the 3rd week I hope I will have time to get 6 more questions for the contest. Thanks Len

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good from here! Just wondering, however, if the paypal donate button is the only way to donate? Didn't someone send Jeff a cheque before? (just thinking about other possible answers to those questions that might arise)
We are also going to take credit cards via ProPay. Details on that once I set it up...

Top Bottom