Trivia Questions 2008

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Thanks Andrew, I've been trying to come up with questions that make people search both this site and the PMG site. That way, maybe people will go to those two libraries before asking some of the simple questions we get every other day.;)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
How about a name matching question? Match the name of the forum member with the service he/she provides? Not sure I like it, but just thinking out loud...

Member: Service/Product:

A Paul in OKC....................1. Cactus Blanks
B Monty..........................2. Rattlesnake blanks
C Bruce119.......................3. sharpening service
D Cav/Doc/Rob/Etc................4. Hosting
E Kalai..........................5. Koa
F Toolcrazy......................6. Bethlehem Olivewood
G Mesquiteman....................7. Abbot and Costello routines

Then, of course, there's the possiblility of someone getting upset if they're not on the list...but you can't put EVERYONE...maybe this is just too hard to accomodate...

Randy_

Originally posted by Scott

Let's come up with a few more questions, and then we'll divide them up between the three Trivia Masters, and get ready for the Bash. It is only two weeks away, and we want to be ready!!!

Scott.

I'd just as soon use my own questions; but do admit to being a question or two short right now. So, if there is an exrta or two, I wouldn't mind borrowing.

Scott

Ok! It looks like we're almost there with the Daily Trivia! Randy has the first ten days, so January 1 through 10. Bruce, why don't you plan on taking the second eleven days, January 11 through 22. If we hear that Al has a conflict with that we can switch later. Al can be the third, taking January 23 through the 31.

I would like to announce the commencement of the Daily Trivia Contest ahead of time, and part of that will be letting them know when we will post the questions. So, what time do you all want to post the questions? We should also have a set time when we cut off the entries, what time would you like that?

Do you all have your E-Mail set up with Jeff for forwarding? We should test this to make sure it forwards OK.

We should also have a somewhat standard format for posting the Daily question. Would you like me to draft up something? If you know how you want to word it, please draft a sample and post it here so we can see.

Each of you three Trivia Masters (I like that name!) should post your questions to make sure we aren't doubling up. Or you may want to just pass them to each other by E-Mail to make sure they are unique. My thought was that if we list all the questions here, then if somebody got sick, one of the rest of us could post up the daily question for them. If you want to post the questions here, why not start new forums for each of you, like "Randy, first 10 Trivia Questions"?

What do you think?

Scott.

Randy_

My first thought is how did they do the Trivia Contest last year and did it work or could it have been done better.

My second thought is that to be fair to all members (especially the international ones), the question should be available for 24 hours.

Third thought is that even though "immediate gratification" is a watchword in the good old US of A, tabulating winners may take a while and depending upon peoples schedules, there may be a window required.

Bruce and Al are both in the Eastern time zone and I am in Central so working to forum time is pretty easy. My initial thinking is the question can be posted at or around noon forum time and end at noon the following day. Answer and winner could be announced around 8 P.M. I'm not locked into this schedule and if someone has a better way to do it, I'm all ears.

One thing that does concern me though is the following. Never paid much attention to it before; but are emails marked with the local time that they are sent or is the time converted to the recipients time. Also, since these email are going to be forwarded by IAP, is that going to mess up the time stamp situation at all?

I don't want to over think things; but also don't want a problem to arise!!

fiferb

Jeff can forward mail to me at lionheartpens(at)gmail.com

I'm not using it much yet. Still trying to develop a website that goes with it.

I like the idea of having our own separate forum to put the questions in. That way they would be easy to find if anyone else needed to cover. We could even do a separate post with the date for the question at the beginning.

I'm good with the noon to noon posting for questions and 8:00 PM for winners. Is this a not later than time? For instance, if on the 15th I need to be away from my computer, could I post that days question at 8:00 AM and the question will continue until Noon the following day? If I'm able to compile the winner before 8:00 PM can I post it early? Just thinking out loud, sort of.

fiferb

I'm a little concerned we haven't heard much from Al (DocStram) on this forum. He said he was going to post his questions when school was out but we haven't heard from him.

Scott

Yes, I'm sure Al will stop by soon. I'll go ahead and start question topics for each of you. Then please post your questions, and the answers, and order them how you want them.

I don't have a problem with posting questions a little early if needed, as long as the question stays open the same amount of time. If it's just the occasional question that needs to be posted early, I would be fine with posting a couple for people. Either way, not a problem! If the noon (Eastern) to noon schedule seems fine with everybody, then lets set that. And until 8:00 pm (Eastern) to announce the winner is fine too. I think last year they kept it open a shorter time, and announced the winner by around noon the next day. But I like how we have it here just fine. Bill Jacob ran it last year, maybe I can get him to give us some advice?

Good work on this guys!

Scott.

fiferb

I agree with Randy on the test run. Is Jeff setting up an IAP account that will forward to us or will we have to post our email each day? Can we do a test of that system if that is what we're using?

DocStram

Sorry for the delay ..... I have my questions posted. I wrote 9 questions ... I think that will be enough. If not, I can easily add more. Please take a look at them and let me know if any need dropped or revised.

Top Bottom