Triton Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I'm thinking of buying the Triton RB & FP kits,can I get views on the quality,the size of the nib,can you change the nib easily?the best plating,finished pen look,
similar kits,price of same.Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

I have turned three so far and find it a quality kit. Of the choices of finish, I prefer the look of chrome with gold accents. Even though I bought the combo kit, I only use the RB so I am no help on the FP question. I will continue to use this kit.

Crashmph

Tritons are very nice pen sets. The fountain nibs are ok, but I almost always upgrade them to a heritage nib or a bock nib. For me, the Triton is a very comfortable pen to write with. I am partial to the Chrome / Ti Gold set myself.

Karl_99

I have only used the chrome with gold rollerball kit. I pair it with a Jeff Powell Air Force blank and have been very happy with the quality so far.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I really like the Triton. I've built several and will definitely be making more.
Here's a couple that I did recently. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/gift-our-new-pastor-120125/

My only complaint with this kit is that the threaded insert is a bit difficult to press into the top barrel. I made a mistake when assembling one pen & tried to disassemble it but the insert would not budge, so I just gave up & accepted the mistake. I think the insert is a bit too long & will try cutting it down to about half its length for the next pen - that should make it easier to install & perhaps make it possible to remove if necessary.

MarkD

I prefer the Tritons over the Jr Gents. The chrome/gold is my favorite. I keep nibs and rollerball front sections handy so I can install whatever the customer prefers.

grb

I've turned a number of Tritons and really like the Chrome & Gold. Its really an elegant pen for the price. And, I agree with Mark about preferring it over the Jr. Gents. You may want to consider a packaging optionn Exotic Blanks offers called a convertible which contains the hardware to switch the kit from a fountain pen to a rollerball.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I really like the Triton. I've built several and will definitely be making more.
Here's a couple that I did recently. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/gift-our-new-pastor-120125/

My only complaint with this kit is that the threaded insert is a bit difficult to press into the top barrel. I made a mistake when assembling one pen & tried to disassemble it but the insert would not budge, so I just gave up & accepted the mistake. I think the insert is a bit too long & will try cutting it down to about half its length for the next pen - that should make it easier to install & perhaps make it possible to remove if necessary.

Do whatever you like, Ed, but you may want to do a few searches about the older style Jr. Gent II. (The black plastic insert was too short---caused problems --I really don't remember what, but I am pretty certain you will find threads to confirm this)

Ed

gbpens

The Triton has a good look but the lower barrel is a bit short. An earlier thread mentioned substituting the lower jr gent barrel which is the same diameter.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Do whatever you like, Ed, but you may want to do a few searches about the older style Jr. Gent II. (The black plastic insert was too short---caused problems --I really don't remember what, but I am pretty certain you will find threads to confirm this)

Ed

Thanks for the tip, Ed. I will look into that.
Edgar

Fireengines

The Triton has a good look but the lower barrel is a bit short.

What I do is use a brass tube set from a Jr Gen II that will give you a longer lower barrel. When assembling the lower barrel, I remove the plastic cap off the refill, cut about a forth of it off, and insert the smaller part in the end cap of the bottom barrel. When you insert the spring the plastic cap will raise the refill to the proper level.

brettyc

Tritons are very nice pen sets. The fountain nibs are ok, but I almost always upgrade them to a heritage nib or a bock nib. For me, the Triton is a very comfortable pen to write with. I am partial to the Chrome / Ti Gold set myself.

do you know what size the nibs are?

mmayo

If you wish to cover everything a customer could want, buy the combo kit from Ed at Exotic Blanks. It contains the fountain pen, converter to draw in ink, a disposable cartridge and the rollerball nib and rollerball. This sells very well for me. One kit and done. I get $125 each with very fancy blanks and great care in turning/finish. You mileage may vary.

Top Bottom