Triton Chrome with Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wmillman

wmillman

First fountain pen and I think it turned out pretty well, finish is just the super simple Shellawax about 6 coats.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

this is the definition of simple and beautiful. If Diogenes (the guy in the barell) was alive today he would write with this pen. Bravo!

wmillman

Thanks everyone for your comments, I had this combo sold before I had it made and the customer is picking it up this week, I sent him pictures of the finished product and he is ecstatic, and can't wait to show it off to his friends. I am thinking there maybe more of these being made in the future.

The Bog Oak turned fairly easily, at about half way through turning it did chip so we stopped and applied some thin CA and continued with no further chipping. One thing I did notice when pressing the cap section it required quite a bit of force to get the gold accent ring to press all the way which made me a bit nervous, however since I do my pressing on the lathe I was able to go very slowly and it went together without incident.

Seasons Greetings Everyone.

penicillin

Beautiful pen! I am sure that the recipient will be delighted to use it.

I have been using friction polish on bog oak as well. I still have some Hut Crystal Coat on hand and have been trying to use it up. I do NOT recommend Hut Crystal Coat. I want to try a different friction polish (Mylands? Shellawax?) or make my own someday in the future.

What I want to share is that when I used a CA finish on bog oak, the pen turned solid black and lost all of its "interest". CA finishes seem to darken certain dark woods like bog oak to the point where the pen is just black. ... so I use friction polish on them.

jrista

Very nice! One of my favorite woods, one of my favorite pen kits! Looks wonderful.

Top Bottom