Votes: 38 97.4%
  • No - Stay with e-Taps

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eharri446

I sent an email to the people at TapCo this afternoon showing the quantities of taps and dies that this group buy is going to order, and they came back with better set of prices with the exception of the 4 die sizes.

Here is what they came back with:

TapCo e-Taps
Triple Taps Price Price Difference
M14x.8 Plug $51.81 $55.00 -$3.19
M14x.8 Bottom $51.81 $83.25 -$31.44
M13x.8 Plug $47.10 $48.90 -$1.80
M13x.8 Bottom $47.10 $80.75 -$33.65
M12x.8 Plug $39.50 $45.00 -$5.50
M12x.8 Bottom $39.50 $49.70 -$10.20
M11x.8 Plug $37.70 $45.60 -$7.90
M11x.8 Bottom $37.70 $49.70 -$12.00
Triple Dies
M14x.8 $67.20 $61.50 $5.70
M13x.8 $67.20 $61.50 $5.70
M12x.8 $67.20 $59.90 $7.30
M12x.8 $67.20 $61.50 $5.70
Nib Taps
M6.4x.6 Plug $18.50 $23.80 -$5.30
M6.4x.6 Bottom $18.50 $23.80 -$5.30
M7.9x.6 Plug $18.50 $21.60 -$3.10
M7.9x.6 Bottom $18.50 $21.60 -$3.10
M6.5x.5 Plug $18.50 $22.60 -$4.10
M6.5x.5 Bottom $18.50 $22.60 -$4.10
M7.4X.5 Plug $18.50 $25.30 -$6.80
M7.4X.5 Bottom $18.50 $25.30 -$6.80

The advantage of going with TapCo is the turn around time and the fact that the plug and bottoming dies count as a single value for the quantities.

As you can see all of the prices for the triple lead taps and the single taps are less from TapCo.

The only downside is the triple lead dies are a little more expensive.

The turn around time for TapCo is 13-14 work days while e-Taps.com is 4 to 6 weeks.

Please cast your vote one way or another as to whether we go forward with e-Taps or switch to TapCo.

If we decide to switch to TapCo, I will give everyone a chance to look at their orders and decide if they want to make any changes. I will require that any changes be made known to me as soon as possible via an email to elwinharrison@yahoo.com. I will allow 4 days for changes to be made.

If anyone makes changes, I will send out a new invoice with the corrected prices and if any addition money is due I need to have it made NLT 9/10. If more money has been paid in than is required with the new prices, and the overage amount is $1.00 or more. I will send you a refund. If less than $1.00 it will be donated to IAP.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Triple Start Tap & Die Group Buy 2017 Decision Point

Anyone have a feel for quality of one over the other? If equal or better I'm good with Tapco. No change to my order.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

duncsuss

Either way. I'd save a few dollars by switching to TapCo, but not so much that it would change my lifestyle.

I've been happy with the products from TapCo, I expect the e-Taps products would also be completely adequate.

I have not voted because I can't tell if "yes" means "yes we stay with e-Taps" or "yes we switch to Tapco". (Plus I don't have a preference anyway!)

magpens

I have previous experience with Tapco products and I have been happy with them.

I have no experience with e-Taps products and I have no reason to not try them.

I will be saving money overall by switching to Tapco and for that reason only I would favor a switch to Tapco.

I expect the wording of the question to be changed and I will wait until that happens before voting.

GSteer

Waiting on Elwin to clarify the question, but changing should hopefully save money for everyone with bottoming taps (might even allow others to pick them up), or be very close within a few dollars for everyone else.

eharri446

My apologies on the confusion with the poll. If you want to switch to TapCo then vote "Yes" otherwise vote "No".

Since this is a first time using the poll feature of a thread, I do not know how to change text on the options.

Sprung

With what I ordered, it would increase my cost only slightly - about $2.

With it being that close in price for me, realizing the savings it could pose for others in the buy, and knowing that the turnaround is faster and that we'd be receiving everything sooner, I'd vote for switching to Tapco.

Tom Walter

I have done group purchases with TapCo before and they are a great company to deal with. I like the combined tap discounts and they keep you up to date whenever you want. I would go with them.

eharri446

On a lot of the taps, that had been ordered based on the e-Taps pricing, we were not getting the +24 pricing. The only one was the M13 plug tap.

This way, we get the same pricing no matter if it is a plug or bottoming, and the prices are cheaper as well.

The only raise in price is on the dies. They are going to cost us an extra $5.70 each, however, the savings on the taps will offset the cost of the dies.

Guys, if you dont tell me how to do heating and cooling , i wont tell you what tap and die i want....honestly , i will leave this in your capable hands
Besides , im not even sure i have everything i need

Last edited:

Brian G

I favor switching.

I'll likely change my order to switch all taps to bottoming taps because there's no difference in price.

That's unless somebody more experienced with kitless construction tells me that it's a boneheaded move.

Skeleton2014

Somewhere I read that bottoming taps are more difficult (or next to impossible?) for starting taps in a hole. Couldn't find reference I originally saw but, maybe our kitless experts can shed some light on this.
Thanks, Jeff

I favor switching.

I'll likely change my order to switch all taps to bottoming taps because there's no difference in price.

That's unless somebody more experienced with kitless construction tells me that it's a boneheaded move.

JimHinze

Somewhere I read that bottoming taps are more difficult (or next to impossible?) for starting taps in a hole. Couldn't find reference I originally saw but, maybe our kitless experts can shed some light on this.
Thanks, Jeff

I favor switching.

Getting started, you DO NOT want bottoming taps. Those are generally used for demonstrators (clear acrylic threads) where you want a minimal amount of thread showing...

Plug taps have a taper and the first 3 or so threads are NOT completely formed.. meaning you have to thread in further say on a cap then in necessary by 3-5 threads. On a demonstrator this would be rather ugly.. so you'd start with the plug, thread in as far as is needed, then follow it up with the bottoming tap which will finish cutting those partially formed threads..

if you need more explanation, send me a PM.

Burb

If we switch to Tap-Co, I'd like to add 2 items that are significantly cheaper now. I'll send you an email.

chet0213

I vote yes to moving to Tapco. I have lots of their other taps and when reaching for taps i can feel the sharpness of the taps and tell where they came from. I think I only save about $1 for changing but I can vouch that their products are great. I do not have any experience with Etap.

I am a kitless pen maker and I use plug taps for all of my pens. I do take them and grind down some of the tapered section down to maybe leave 1.5-2 starting threads. If you are doing a pen in a transparent material you can still get clean finish using the modified plug tap but have the ease of starting.

Brian G

Thank you Jim and Chet for the additional feedback and advice. You helped me decide that plug taps are a better choice for what I want to do. Much appreciated.

eharri446

Out of the 53 people who are taking part in this group buy, 39 have voted on whether or not to move to Tapco for out purchase. Out of the 39, 38 voted for moving to Tapco and 1 against, however, I think that one was a flyer.

Anyway, I will be sending out new invoices during the rest of this week and I will indicate on the invoice whether there is additional money required, or if you will be receiving a refund.

One thing that I have to do is to update the insurance for those who opted for it due to the change in the retail price of the individual items.

Once I get the invoices out, I need to get all of the remaining monies paid in no later than September 10th, 2017.

If anyone wants to add to their order, please contact me as soon as you can.

Burb

If anyone wants to add to their order, please contact me as soon as you can.

As indicated above, I'd like to add 2 items. I have already emailed you those items. Just let me know what you need from me to help. I know I owe a little more, and I'd be glad to pay once you're ready.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this. I appreciate it.

Mark
www.MWWoodworx.com

eharri446

I am working on getting the new invoices created. If you want to add any additional items, please send me a PM with what you want to add, and I will add them to your invoice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

The 6.4 is used for the Bock #5 nib carrier. The 6.5 is used for the JOWO #5 nib carrier.

If you only plan to use the more expensive Bock nibs with their carriers which screw into the pen section, then you only need the M6.4 tap. However if you plan to use both you would need both taps. If only the JOWO #5 then you would need only the M6.5 tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom