Trimming too much

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

It doesn't happen much, but of course, it happens on nice pen blanks.

I trimmed some blanks too short and not the ink cartridge stick out a bit, like 0.02"

What are good options to fix this? Is there someone that sells black shims that we could install between the wood and the kits to help correct this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are you looking to sell it or give to someone you do not see often? I ask because depending on the kit and the refill, it maybe possible to take a little off the backend of the refill to fix that. But it makes the pen a bastard pen and the next refill would need the same fix and if it is sold they will not know what to do. Adding goof rings can work too but looks better if you do the same on both ends. Good luck.

Dvoigt

Are you looking to sell it or give to someone you do not see often? I ask because depending on the kit and the refill, it maybe possible to take a little off the backend of the refill to fix that. But it makes the pen a bastard pen and the next refill would need the same fix and if it is sold they will not know what to do. Adding goof rings can work too but looks better if you do the same on both ends. Good luck.
Yea I thought about that but looking more the route to sell. I have done fixes like that in the past with veneer, but it's such delicate work that I was just hoping someone makes something like that, or could 3d print something maybe.

I'm not opposed to disassembling, turning with a spacer to shape it and the re-assembling

Darios

It doesn't happen much, but of course, it happens on nice pen blanks.

I trimmed some blanks too short and not the ink cartridge stick out a bit, like 0.02"

What are good options to fix this? Is there someone that sells black shims that we could install between the wood and the kits to help correct this?

On slimlines or other such twists I back out the transmission a hair.
On click pens, for the better ones I have sanded down the end of the metal bar in the click mechanisms, and for the cheaper ones the top of the inside of the click mechanism is plastic that I've fixed by getting in there with the flat headed file from my needle file set and shaving down the plastic.

jcm71

Here are two fixes I have used. Using a small, sharp drill bit (1/8 inch or so), manually shave the rubber insert inside the twist mechanism. Do a little at a time and test frequently until you are satisfied with the results. For a cigar pen, do not screw the twist mechanism on all the way. Leave it several threads short. Manually test refill extension without assembling the upper barrel. When satisfied, note the gap between the mechanism and the coupler. Now unscrew the mechanism an apply a very VERY small amount of red or blue Loctite to the threads of The twist mechanism and then screw it back in to the coupler, leaving the same gap. Wipe off any squeeze out. Set a side for an hour or so, and then assemble the top barrel. Should work fine, unless of course you seriously over trimmed the upper barrel.

Top Bottom