Trim Rings and Bolivian Rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
9,245
Location
Medina, Ohio
12 slot Trim rings of Maple and walnut. Body is Bolivian Rosewood. Wood supplied by the recipient.

I usually like to use a Wipe on Polyurethane with this many glue joints (slightly more flexibility than CA), but this wood was too oily (even after wiping with acetone before finish). After three days, I had to strip the tacky Poly off and used Glue Boost.

IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
9,245
Location
Medina, Ohio
That is a wonderful pen, really great balance, and that finish looks awesome.
Well done Mark.
Thanks to all above for the kind comments.

Hi Rod. This set of blanks I struggled with a lot for the finish ( 5 days). I applied a thin coat of MinWax Wipe On Polyurethane ( I have liked a Poly finish vs CA for when I have lots of glue joints, a bit more flexibility for humidity and temperature; I may not adhere to this in the future).. Put the blanks on a slow spinning mandrel under a light to keep a bit of heat. 12 hrs later still tacky. 24 hrs later still tacky, 36 hrs still tacky. OK, this isn't working.

At the same time, I finished in similar fashion a set of Koa blanks - they cured within 2 hrs for each coat (4x). I Googled Polyurethanes, Rosewoods, etc, and was reminded (I did know this...) that many Jungle timbers (i.e., Rosewoods) have a high concentration of resins. The Mineral Spirits in WOP will interact and release/dissolve these resins, resulting in difficulties with finishes :eek: :mad:. The web sites indicated to wipe the wood with acetone (or other solvents) before applying a finish... I had done this!

So... I wiped the blanks 3-4x with acetone to remove the WOP. Then I put back on the lathe and with 0000 steel wool removed any remaining WOP. The condition of the blanks was fine, so I went directly to a Glu Boost CA finish. 3x/medium, 3x thin. I then went through the MM sequence, and finished with Meguiares Plastix.

The final finish is good... OK for many, but I'm still a bit fussy. Finishing eludes me for some reason????

I was happy with the final set of blanks. I am disappointed that I went for the Poly before CA, but hey, I'm a finishing newbie and will learn the lessons.

Cheers, Mark
 

jttheclockman

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
13,300
Location
NJ, USA.
If you want to try the poly again in the future, just wipe down with acetone and then apply a coat of dewaxed shellac. Make sure it is dewaxed. Then take a brown paper bag and sand it with that. Now you are sealed and set up for any top coat you want. Just some thoughts. :)
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2016
Messages
1,410
Location
Surprise, Arizona
Outstanding Mark. It has just the right sheen... enough gloss to show you can do a good finish but not so much that it looks like plastic (which mine always do...) IMO it allows the wood and beautiful segments to command all the attention, rather than a high shine taking the spotlight. This is one of my favorites of yours, very nicely done!
 
Top Bottom