Tried something new

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

Haven't posted much in the way of pics lately. Life seems to get in the way sometimes - :eek:

But I'm back in the shop now (mostly) and I was cleaning up outside and ran across some maple I had hoped to work into a bowl or two. It was pretty punky - rotten almost - so I put it outside. Been there for 6 months or so. I picked it up and was ready to toss it onto the "firewood" pile, but one section caught my eye. Hmmm. Interesting. I took it into the shop and cut into it. Look at that. It was spalted! So I massaged it with a plane and the table saw and out came some blanks. The first one was a disaster. There IS a learning curve when you're turning spalted wood. VERY sharp tools and a light touch are only the beginning.

BUT - the results are below. I dressed up 2 PSI Gatsby's (Sierra's) with spalted maple. Take a look. Comments and critiques are, as always, welcome. Sorry for the size of the pics. Gotta work on that.

DSC01663.jpg
DSC01669.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

And to think that could have been tossed in the fire! 😱 Love spalted maple. Beautiful combo with the Gatsby.👍🏻
Russ

Last edited:

magpens

Spalted is often "exalted", as in this case !!

"Bravo" for the successful rescue !!!

Top Bottom