Tried High Build Friction Polish and CA - Jury Still Out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I wanted something fast, no sanding, and more grain feel, etc..so I mixed Doctor's Woodshop High Build Friction Polish with medium Mercury Flex CA - just for laughs.
I wrote to the Doctor (also the Pen Plus guy) and asked if I can apply HBFP with CA. He said, yes to his HBFP, but not to the Pens Plus because it contains wax.

I finished 2 pen this way ala the Russ Fairfield's CA/BLO method. I achieved the desired outcome and there was no yellowing.

I will assemble tomorrow and post.

I will wait and see how it wears. Maybe some of you have tried this combination.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Interesting - it's been a long time since I tried the Russ method (and to be honest, I don't think I was doing it right because the results were less than wonderful.)

How many coats did you apply?

TonyL

I applied about 7. I used a folded up paper towel (gas station white, large roll type), added a small pool of polish and a 2 to 3 drops of CA (medium. that's what I had). I was really just playing around. I spun the lathe at about 500 to 1000 rpms and rubbed the FP/CA combo back and forth about 10 to 15 times rapidly. I even continued to spin the blank while slowly moving the towel across the blank. I made sure that i can feel the heat through the paper towel so that the FP would set. The towel never stuck to the blank. I then gave it a short shot of accelerator (I don't think this step is necessary). Repeated 7 times. It really didn't need it, but I hit it with all 4 buffing wheels with no added compound. I was just playing around.

I didn't go into detail in the first post because I have no idea if this approach was any good or if others have tried it. I just wanted to ensure that nothing would explode.

The finish is gloss (not super high gloss, but not satin). If this works, it is a fast way of combining the friction polish with the strength of the CA. I was really looking for a fast way to preserve the finish and add strength to the friction polish. We will see. When I inspected under a loupe (prior to buffing) there was really no specific scratch pattern. The finish followed the grain and surface characteristics of the wood.

I may try on a third pen later today. Again, I wouldn't tout it as an alternative until I handle the pen for a few weeks and see if it lasts or yellows after months.

TonyL

Here are the pics that I promised - both sides of the same pen. The other pen was spectraply; this is a better example and allows one to see wood grain. I think it is a good one to strengthen and add durability to the HBFP finish - assuming it lasts. I am going to try this on others.

HBFP1.jpgHBFP2.jpg

magpens

BEAUTIFUL !!! . . . . Thanks for showing, Tony !!!!

Wood looks like Bocote ? . . Is that right ?

TonyL

Here's another one - the gray spectraply has the CA/HBFP finish. The Olive Wood (from a Marshall's cutting board) is a traditional CA only finish. My friend requested the black and gray spectraply.
Executives for Jeanette.jpg

Top Bottom