Tried an Elegant American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I found some kits at Rockler the other day when I was getting parts to finish a flat top for a customer. It's built on the same design as a flat top but without the exposed tube for the centerband. Looks like a grownup slimline and the centerband press fits into the bottom tube with threads for the tranny.
When I looked at the instruction sheet that came with it I was mystified, it was describing a pen with a press fit tranny like a slimline and the illustration bore little resemblance to the pile of parts I had. So I went upstairs and downloaded a new sheet from Rocklers web site. I had to go after the bushings and parts with a caliper to figure out which bushing went where. The first sheet had no mention of the two different length tubes, fortunately the new sheet managed to have that point covered.
Needless to say I didn't do a great job on it. Sanding to the bushing on the cap end got me a few thousandths undersize and I somehow managed to leave the nib end too big.
Another thing to watch out for is the fit of the tranny in the top tube. I had the wood all flush with the tube ends, pressed the brass slug in the top of the tranny and pressed it flush at the top like the new sheet said to do. When I screwed the bottom on the centerband was binding to the top when I tried extending the tip. Apparently you need to assemble like the instructions on the flat top instead and press the tranny in from the bottom after the finial is fully assembled so you wind up leaving a little slack as you press the parts together.
I think I'm going to like these kits though after I get used to handling them as they give me a higher end pen with the slim profile of a slimline. I'm not real fond of the Cross style refills and these use a Parker style.

Attachments

• E-A-sweetgum.jpg
    E-A-sweetgum.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

In the Americana series of pens the transmission does not operate by friction but by the pressed in brass plug engaging the end of the transmsiion. Before any assembly and after the top is turned and finished drop the transmission in the top. It should slide freely out the other end. The clearance is small but there should be enough for the tranny to slide through. Glue in the tube is often the problem. It doesn't take but just a little. Be sure all glue is out of the inside of the tube.

Another culprit could be a slightly collapsed tube or a small dent in the tube. A metal dowel or punch that just fits inside the tube can be used to guarantee the ID is what it should be.

Some Americana kits require the CB end of the cap barrel to be parted off down to the tube (not on the kit you are making). Doing this will sometimes crush the tube enough to make the tranny bind as you describe.

The american series are also sensitive to tube length...both upper and lower. But, they do make nice pens with a classic look.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Another thing to watch out for is the fit of the tranny in the top tube. When I screwed the bottom on the centerband was binding to the top when I tried extending the tip.

Gary Beasley

This was definitely the tranny being too far up in the tube. The instructions say to put the plug on the tranny before installing it in the tube from the top. I'm pretty sure that resulted in the tranny seating too far into the plug and making the pen bind when the threads seated at the CB. If you follow the route the old instuctions on the flat top has you install the plug and finial, assemble the tranny on the lower body and press it in from the bottom. That makes it difficult to push it in too far and get binding.

In the Americana series of pens the transmission does not operate by friction but by the pressed in brass plug engaging the end of the transmsiion. Before any assembly and after the top is turned and finished drop the transmission in the top. It should slide freely out the other end. The clearance is small but there should be enough for the tranny to slide through. Glue in the tube is often the problem. It doesn't take but just a little. Be sure all glue is out of the inside of the tube.

Another culprit could be a slightly collapsed tube or a small dent in the tube. A metal dowel or punch that just fits inside the tube can be used to guarantee the ID is what it should be.

Some Americana kits require the CB end of the cap barrel to be parted off down to the tube (not on the kit you are making). Doing this will sometimes crush the tube enough to make the tranny bind as you describe.

The american series are also sensitive to tube length...both upper and lower. But, they do make nice pens with a classic look.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Another thing to watch out for is the fit of the tranny in the top tube. When I screwed the bottom on the centerband was binding to the top when I tried extending the tip.

Top Bottom