Trade Trex for kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeCallahan

I'm 18 and have been turning for a few months now. I have to say, I'm addicted. But the enevitable has happened, I've run out of pen kits.
I've collected a number of Trex composite decking samples from work, and they make amazing turning material. I'm hoping to trade two 4"x5" samples for 5 pen kits (any kind) to keep my obsession going.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Joe welcome to the site. Have to say you picked a unique material for turning. Hope you could show us some examples of your work. The Trex that I know of is pretty bland inside and made of scrap plastics. Some of it is is perforated so would make tough pen blanks. Most is a bland grey color or brown color inside. Unless you are talking about something totally different but it is used for decking around here. As I say it would be nice to see some examples of your turned pieces to give everyone an ide of what it is you have. :)

JT, here is a pen I made from Trex branded decking left over from my "had to have" deck. It turned and polished pretty well, no real issues.

Attachments

• MT1611.01 Mesa Stylus Trex Wood.JPG
    MT1611.01 Mesa Stylus Trex Wood.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 452

JohnU

Welcome Joe. I see you don't have to travel far for the IAP Chicagoland chapter meetings. lol PM me your address and I will send you a few extra I have. No need for a trade. When I began turning there were several members here who took care of me. Best group of people and website you will ever find! Very nice pen! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Woodchipper

Welcome and it is good to experiment with different materials. I have one material that I'm going to try and see how it looks. As JohnU said, great place to learn and get help.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Welcome to the group Joe! PM me your address. No need to trade. I have inherited a lot of kits and turning material.

JoeCallahan

I just turned this one today. Still not quite sure how I feel about the gold hardware, chrome or gunmetal may be better on the next one. I just love how easily the material works. I do not exaggerate when I tell you this took me under 5 minutes to turn and polish.

Attachments

• 20180828_150521.jpg
    20180828_150521.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 333
Top Bottom