Trend diamond honing kit on sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I've seen the Trend diamond honing tools mentioned and recommended here. I just picked this kit up at Amazon on sale + an additional 20% coupon. The picture is linked for whoever is interested. I have no idea how long the coupon will be available. It came to $51 for me with tax (and free prime shipping).

1632160187866.png

penicillin

I bought the full Trend set in the silver-colored plastic case about a year ago. It came with two double-sided diamond stones (180/600 and 300/1000 and two cut pieces of webbed rubber "tool drawer bottom" fabric to rest the diamond stones on. It also came with some petroleum-based honing fluid (no water, avoids rust), two cleaning blocks that look like ordinary white plastic erasers, a thick, 3x8 inch leather piece for stropping, and a green waxy buffing compound for the strop. The thin, brittle plastic case and rubber stone supports are ultra cheap and low quality. Considering the cost, Trend should have done better. The first case arrived cracked, so I had to return the entire kit and repurchase. Instructions are not detailed, but they cover the basics. Again - for the premium price, I expected better.

https://www.amazon.com/Trend-DWS-KIT-Complete-Sharpening/dp/B076DXHJJF

The Trend diamond stones are the best I've seen. I started with an ultra-cheap eBay diamond stone. The diamond coating started showing "peel-off" gaps after moderate use. I replaced them with a set of DMT Duo-Sharp stones. They are much better, but seemed to wear out after a a fair bit of chisel and plane blade flattening. I replaced them with this expensive kit.

I think the problem is me. It still takes me several hours to flatten the back of an old plane blade or the full face of a 3/4 or 1 inch chisel on the very coarsest diamond stones (the possibly-worn DMT extra-extra-course stone and the Trend 180 grit side), and I don't think it should take that long. I use plenty of lapping fluid (or water, in the past with the DMT stones).

I have been sharpening chisels and plane blades lately, and found that the Trend kit is good, not great. The diamond stones are premium quality. The non-rusting lapping fluid is pretty good. The rest is window dressing.

Top Bottom