Treid out my Wire Burner on a Stopper today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

So I've been wanting to make a wire burner and finally stopped at the music store yesterday and picked up a couple guitar strings. I had a piece of 1" dowel rod so I threw it together. I had a Bottle Stopper blank ready to turn so I thought I would turn it today and try out the burner. It did pretty good. The Bottle Stopper was done in ZebraWood. I attached a pic of the burner in case anyone wants to make one.

Attachments

• wire burner.jpg
    wire burner.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 6 ZebraWood 2 9 19 2.jpg
    6 ZebraWood 2 9 19 2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 6 ZebraWood 2 9 19.jpg
    6 ZebraWood 2 9 19.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timber Ripper

That's a very cool technique even to apply to a pen for added grip. I hate the rubber grips on pens. The rubber grips take away from the wood or material.
Nice work on the stoppers.

bsshog40

That's a very cool technique even to apply to a pen for added grip. I hate the rubber grips on pens. The rubber grips take away from the wood or material.
You must be talking about the comfort pen kits? I don't even use those rubber grips. I turn the pen all the way down to the bushing and leave the grips off. I don't like those things either. I do like the shape of the comfort kit though.

Timber Ripper

You must be talking about the comfort pen kits? I don't even use those rubber grips. I turn the pen all the way down to the bushing and leave the grips off. I don't like those things either. I do like the shape of the comfort kit though.

Yes, exactly!
I have a request for a comfort pen and mechanical pencil set without the rubber grip. I'm thinking of using the same accent as you did on your bottle stoppers near the nib.

Yes, exactly!
I have a request for a comfort pen and mechanical pencil set without the rubber grip. I'm thinking of using the same accent as you did on your bottle stoppers near the nib.

Go easy on the comfort pen. I've got a customer in Hawaii who orders 6-10 a month and seems to not be able to keep them in stock. I know someone with MS and at times has a lot of pain in their hands/fingers. I made her one and she loves it as the slight cushion of the rubber makes it easier for her to write with. There is a place for comfort pens. So as not to waste wood, I cut the lower blank shorter so I only have a short piece to turn off.
Nice job Bobby. What size wire did you use. I've sure there's a musical string key but I'm not musical.

bsshog40

Go easy on the comfort pen. I've got a customer in Hawaii who orders 6-10 a month and seems to not be able to keep them in stock. I know someone with MS and at times has a lot of pain in their hands/fingers. I made her one and she loves it as the slight cushion of the rubber makes it easier for her to write with. There is a place for comfort pens. So as not to waste wood, I cut the lower blank shorter so I only have a short piece to turn off.
Nice job Bobby. What size wire did you use. I've sure there's a musical string key but I'm not musical.

I got a D & G string. I used the D string on the stopper. The G string isn't wound and the D string on up are wound strings. Wasn't sure if the wound strings would get too hot and break. It didn't. Lol

Last edited:

More4dan

I would be careful carrying it in your car, might be mistaken as a garrote. I could see myself pleading with the police that it's really meant for burning rings in wood.

Very innovative, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

I would be careful carrying it in your car, might be mistaken as a garrote. I could see myself pleading with the police that it's really meant for burning rings in wood.

Very innovative, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

He is in Midland Texas, the cops wouldn't look twice at that burner, most of those guys carry guns.

Top Bottom