Travelling to South Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

It is finally happening. This has been a two year process of working through the adoption of our little girl. She is 3 1/2 and in an orphanage in Maseru, Lesotho. We don't have an official date yet, but we know that travel will be occuring prior to June. We are excited, nervous and very grateful that there is an end and soon we will be holding and loving on our daughter.

Any suggestions of things to do in the Johannesburg area? We will be in Maseru for 2 weeks and Johannesburg for a week to process through the paperwork and meetings. There will be lots of down time and bonding time with our daughter and our three kids who are coming with us.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jo'burg city is not a place you want to visit on your own.
There is (was ? ) a place called Gold Reef City. It used to be a good for a day trip with kids. If you have money to burn, you could visit Sun City.
It's been some time since I was in SA and most of my pals say it has got a lot worse and dangerous.
Enjoy your trip, but please get good advice before venturing anywhere.

Buzzzz4

There is (was ? ) a place called Gold Reef City. It used to be a good for a day trip with kids. If you have money to burn, you could visit Sun City.
It's been some time since I was in SA and most of my pals say it has got a lot worse and dangerous.

That is the advice we have gotten. We are looking for a place to stay around Jo'burg. Not sure on that one yet. Gold Reef is still there, but definitely do not have the money to burn. We might try it out though. We will be doing a safari of some sort as well.

stonepecker

Happiness to the family always.......may you be blessed.

Don't know if this is possible but thinking of the hobby.......finding a source of lumber to be shipped to you might be something to take an afternoon for you. We are guessing there just might be something interesting to be found.

Good Luck

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That is the advice we have gotten. We are looking for a place to stay around Jo'burg. Not sure on that one yet. Gold Reef is still there, but definitely do not have the money to burn. We might try it out though. We will be doing a safari of some sort as well.
I have a very good friend who came to Canada some time ago from SA. I have given him a link to this thread. Hopefully he will get back to you to answer some of your queries!

Falcon1220

If you do a search of the IAP member list you will find a number of members here that are from South Africa. (Some from Johannesburg (Jo-Burg) and others from Pretoria and Centurion) Both these cities are close to Jo-Burg. If you PM these members they may be able to help you.
Sun City as suggested is a few hundred miles away from Jo-Burg. If you do not know where you are going you may easily find yourself in unsafe areas trying to get there.
How are you getting to Maseru? The area around there is safer for touristy things and the Drakensberg area is a beautiful to visit if you like mountains. Lesotho is known as the Mountain Kingdom for a reason.
What are your areas of interest? Maybe I can suggest something.
I use to live in South Africa but am not familiar with the Jo-Burg area. I do have friends that are still in that area. PM me if you like.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sun City as suggested is a few hundred miles away from Jo-Burg. .

Sun City is actually less than 90 miles from the centre of Johannesburg. :wink:

Personally, I wouldn't make direct contact with our SA members until they respond to your public threads. You may be putting them on the spot.
Please don't anyone make any more from this statement, esp if you are from SA. It's not meant as an insult or anything, OK?
South Africa is a still 'changing' country and some of the old predjudices are still just under the skin. Just like there are in every other country in the world, including USA and UK.
There are ( as I'm sure you know by now ) some who don't agree with the adoption of African children by foriegners.
While I and the rest of us here have no doubt that you are doing a wonderful, honourable and loving deed, you will be aware that others see it far differently.

Madonna is all over the news again for apparently demanding VIP treatment while she was there recently. I think that stories like that actually make it harder for everyone.

I wish you and your family all the very best and hope you enjoy your time in SA and the little Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho.
Just be careful.:wink:

Buzzzz4

When travelling, we will be smart as well as aware of our surroundings. Yes, we are also aware of positive and negative feelings about international adoption. We appreciate any and all ideas as well as guidance as there is a ton of wisdom and experience in this community.

Buzzzz4

Thank you. We are so excited! It looks like we could also bring in some pen kits for some members in SA

Last edited:

nava1uni

Congratulations. I know that you have been working on this for a long time. It is a great thing that you're doing. I hope that the transition is easy for your new daughter. It takes a lot of patience. It took our daughter a while to adjust to her new environment, but it happened slowly and couldn't be better now.

Top Bottom