Travel cooking tools and more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

A few weeks ago a gentlemen from Iowa contacted me via my website. A friend of his had one of my knives and went on and on about it, it's true I couldn't make this up. Anyway, he asked if I'd be interested in making him a traveling cook set and a couple of gifts. I asked him his budget, which was very generous, and after some back and forth with ideas and pictures we agreed on the items shown below. This has been my first order since Covid so I was pretty surprised to get this order. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
Picture 1 features a Bird/Trout knife in Cherry and a small skinner in Cherry (sorry, it's upside down and I can't figure out how to correct it.
Picture 2 features a knife/fork carving set in Cherry
Picture 3 features two spear point hunters to be given as gifts. Right side is Koa and left side Mahogany.
Picture 4 features three Coffee scoops in, top to bottom, Cherry with Brass ornaments, Koa with Copper ornaments and Olive with Aluminium from a Corona Seltzer bottom.

two in Cherry.jpg carving set in Cherry.jpg spear points in Mahogany and Koa.jpg Coffee scoops.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Your grind lines are great. Do you use a bevel guide or just freehand?
mart

My knives are advertised as "semi-custom" in that I don't do any of the grinding on the steel. Once the scales are cut to fit everything else is done by hand, no power tools. Thanks for the compliment Mart, but I can't take credit for the steel work...wish I could.

Mart

Well your fit and finish it excellent. Nice and tight between the scales to bolster and you have a good eye for handle shaping. semi-custom sounds interesting, I may try that for my next folder. Takes me forever to make a simple EDC but I'd like to make a few matching pen and pen knife combos so, hmm.
Mart

Reactions: DrD
Well your fit and finish it excellent. Nice and tight between the scales to bolster and you have a good eye for handle shaping. semi-custom sounds interesting, I may try that for my next folder. Takes me forever to make a simple EDC but I'd like to make a few matching pen and pen knife combos so, hmm.
Mart

First off, Mart, thanks for the compliments.
When I started into knife making I tried the hand forged avenue but I have to be honest, it was a pain...literally. I was at a Woodcraft store and saw some knife blanks they had and thought "what the heck, I'll give them a try". That's what started the "semi-custom" making. I've seen others sell them as "custom" but I've never advertised my knives as "custom". What I found was that the market is totally different. Custom knives have big price tags on them where semi-custom can be less expensive but still reach a larger audience. Since 2014 I've sold well over 200 knives and nothing feels better than to have some young person send me a note telling me how much they love their knife. And I've received quite a few.
As to fit and finish, that took a lot of practice and a lot of experimenting. Thank you for the compliment. I think I've got it down now and use the same technique with each knife. I'll be posting more later of some I just finished and I do have one more that needs to be made for another IAP friend. Since getting into turning pens I've done a few matched sets like the ones below. Give it a shot, the worst that can happen is you'll hate it and go back to hand forged or ground. I found a quality blade maker and have had some pretty good success. Even pocket flipper/folders.
Thanks again for your compliments and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
Both of these were done in Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel blanks.

Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel.jpgBig Ben Cigar in Jack Daniels and Rhodium.jpg

Last edited:

DrD

Mart
I have one of Tom's Folders, and it is is right up there with any of my BenchMade or German custom knives. Love his work!

DrD

Mart

Beautiful pair and the file work and engraving really make that folder pop. Think I'll give a couple of folder kits a try instead of spending hours starting from scratch and have more time to make pens. This EDC in mammoth tooth/rosewood took a lot longer than this EDC in mountain ash.
Thanks for your insight, it's been eye opening.
m
IMG_1174.JPGIMG_1605.JPG

Beautiful pair and the file work and engraving really make that folder pop. Think I'll give a couple of folder kits a try instead of spending hours starting from scratch and have more time to make pens. This EDC in mammoth tooth/rosewood took a lot longer than this EDC in mountain ash.
Thanks for your insight, it's been eye opening.
m
View attachment 246825View attachment 246824

Nice set Mart. I like the contrast in materials you did on the knife. Nice touch!

Top Bottom