Transparent acrylic form study

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I like to make pared down pens every now and then just to focus on form and design aspects. Here is one I made from transparent acrylic, with silver trim. It's based on a 13mm diameter cap thread, and is about 5.25" long. It uses a jowo 6 nib. C6A676C8-69B9-4F2E-BE55-E24276B3A7DB.jpeg7B9DA885-B57C-4817-BABB-0EFF37BCC81D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
True artists study and refine their skills with time spent like this. Notwithstanding, A beautiful product! Well done and time well spent.

TDahl

Very nice John. Any tips on you achieved such a clear polish on the interior of the barrel and cap?

Psychmike22

Fantastic. The interior sanding looks flawless. I like demonstrators but i have never been able to get the drilling and interior sanding right. Would you care to describe your process?

jalbert

Fantastic. The interior sanding looks flawless. I like demonstrators but i have never been able to get the drilling and interior sanding right. Would you care to describe your process?
Drill SLOWLY with plenty of lubricant and sharp bits.
sand the interior from 320 to 1000, then through all the Zona papers
Polish using the magic juice compounds.
Then possibly repeat a couple more times, because you'll undoubtedly find some scratches you missed.

Last edited:

Microgrs

I like to make pared down pens every now and then just to focus on form and design aspects. Here is one I made from transparent acrylic, with silver trim. It's based on a 13mm diameter cap thread, and is about 5.25" long. It uses a jowo 6 nib.View attachment 316906View attachment 316907
Wow, fine craftsmanship! I am trying to thread acrylics and have ended up with a pile of cracked plastic. How do you do it?

TonyL

I like to make pared down pens every now and then just to focus on form and design aspects. Here is one I made from transparent acrylic, with silver trim. It's based on a 13mm diameter cap thread, and is about 5.25" long. It uses a jowo 6 nib.View attachment 316906View attachment 316907
I would to make these. If I were to spend $1,500 or so on a metal lathe from Little Machine Shop would I have the equipment to make this?
Thank you.

jalbert

I would to make these. If I were to spend $1,500 or so on a metal lathe from Little Machine Shop would I have the equipment to make this?
Thank you.
No. You'd need cutting tools, threading tools, jewelry making/metalsmithing tools. Assuming you already have all the basic tools like drill bits, chucks, calipers, etc.

TonyL

No. You'd need cutting tools, threading tools, jewelry making/metalsmithing tools. Assuming you already have all the basic tools like drill bits, chucks, calipers, etc.
Thank you. I will just have to keep on admire your work for now. :)

TonyL

Do you chase the threads on a metal lathe? Now, I am watching metal lathe videos again. Thank you.

Top Bottom