Transmission end problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCjim

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
62
Location
Asheboro, North Carolina
I am in the process in making some "Teacher Pens" for a special order. I assembled a few with no problem. Some the ends of the transmissions that I apply pressure is being crimped as I push them in the body. I have ordered some re-placement transmissions. I did notice that all even the ones I assembled are also crimped but not enough for a problem. What am I doing wrong? Or are they just cheap transmission?
Sorry if this is the wrong form.
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCjim

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
62
Location
Asheboro, North Carolina

SCjim

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
62
Location
Asheboro, North Carolina
Here's the problem
 

Attachments

  • DSC06085.JPG
    DSC06085.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC06087.JPG
    DSC06087.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 94

qquake

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
4,986
Location
Northern California
I used the use the PSI Assembly/Disassembly press. Same press I have used many times with know damage to transmissions.
I've never used one of those. But if the #3 ram presses directly against the transmission, I can see where that could cause damage. I use my drill press to press pens together, and have a piece of Delrin I mount in the chuck to press with.

 

Attachments

  • press01.jpg
    press01.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 78
  • press02.jpg
    press02.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 77
  • press03.jpg
    press03.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 76
  • press04.jpg
    press04.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 74
  • press07.jpg
    press07.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 83
  • press08.jpg
    press08.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 72

SCjim

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
62
Location
Asheboro, North Carolina
I'm not sure where I got the Teacher Pen Kits but I think I solved the problem.

1. I used a better transmission
2. I used a piece of Delrin against the pusher of the press.
3. I polished the inside of the tubes with 400 grit emery cloth on a drill "wipe"

I'm not sure which stage solved the problem but using a better transmission may have been the only step needed (LOL). But that was my last step.
 
Top Bottom