Translucent Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone used translucent type resin blanks other than pen blanks for larger projects and tried polishing them without putting on a lathe?? If so what did you find the best way to get that clear polished look?? I am looking at a project that has some 2" to 3" variable shaped edges but flat work. Can not be polished on a lathe. Thanks. Maybe if you have a photo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

well on acrylic headlights a hard foam pad with compound on works once you've sanded upto about 1000 grit with random orbit sanders. Not sure how the guys who make " river effect tables" with resin finish them off but they definitely sand up to at least 600 grit . I think some then apply a finishing resin coat and allow it to flow out but can't see why polishing compound would not work.

jttheclockman

Yes this is what I was thinking too. Hand sand then hit with some sort of polishing cream and maybe I can use the buffer. Thanks.

howsitwork

I used a wool mop with fine compound to finish off but wish I had stuck to the firm sponge as it's more controllable. Also cleaning the mop afterwards was a pain.

howsitwork

Have a polishing setup? I tend to sand up to 1000 grit then you can hit the polishing wheels Tripoli and white diamond. Or you can use nova polish. Both work really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
I'm not as keen on tripoli to be honest as ( over applied to the mop ) I got deposits in lines on one handle I decided to try it on. Used it very successfully on a steel tool for metal spinning but not as successful ( yet ) on wood. Not had an issue with white diamond compound though ( but I maybe learned tha5 minimal loading is neede£ after my tripoli experience !

Top Bottom