Trannys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Without doing an intensive search here I did do a quick one and did not find an answer so will ask. Those kits like the sierra line that have the tranny in the cap it has at times become a problem that I see often here. What happens is people unscrew the tranny from the nib end and somehow the tranny gets pushed further up the cap tube. Now you can not screw the cap back onto the lower portion of the pen. You can not use a transfer punch to push the cap end off or the tranny out. So what is your method to get the tranny out and reset again. Is there a tool that can screw onto the threads and pull the tranny back down and out?? Or do you have a different method. This will be good thread for future.

Here is an old thread that discusses the problem and some had a fix to prevent it from happening but not how to get tranny out. Anyone use the dowel trick to prevent this??
https://www.penturners.org/threads/another-sierra-question.50741/#post-896283

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
First, use one of the pens available at ExoticBlanks and the back unscrews to allow you to add (screw on) a stylus, if you like.
(Diamond knurl, ellipse, thank you, zodiac all share this design). This also exposes the transmission top so you can push it down with your fingers.

But, before I had pens made, I had to solve the problem you pose, so I took the nib from a sierra and cut off the upper threaded section, sanded the outside to allow it to fit up into the body, then glued a piece of doweling to the end to make it long enough so I could manipulate it. Not pretty, but functional.

FWIW,
Ed

jttheclockman

First, use one of the pens available at ExoticBlanks and the back unscrews to allow you to add (screw on) a stylus, if you like.
(Diamond knurl, ellipse, thank you, zodiac all share this design). This also exposes the transmission top so you can push it down with your fingers.

But, before I had pens made, I had to solve the problem you pose, so I took the nib from a sierra and cut off the upper threaded section, sanded the outside to allow it to fit up into the body, then glued a piece of doweling to the end to make it long enough so I could manipulate it. Not pretty, but functional.

FWIW,
Ed
A home made tool. Now you should patent that. There are alot of those pen kits out there and I bet this happens many times. People just do not listen or read instructions if you supply them when you sell these pens. I had it happen once but was able to get a pair of tweezers up there enough to catch the threads and pull it out. But had to replace the tranny.

duncsuss

I've used a locking hemostat to grab the threaded end and pulled it out. It didn't destroy the threads, so the transmission still worked fine.

I added a drop of blue Loctite when I reassembled it, in an attempt to make the other end of the transmission the "change refills here" end.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Some years ago a member on here made a tool that would screw onto the transmission and pull it out. Do not remember who it was but he sold them through this IAP site. I have one and use it all the time. I don't think he made all that many because his sales were slow, But it is a nice tool and it works like a charm.

Top Bottom