Trail Mix Time - again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This is the time of year for trail mix, chex mix, Texas trash or whatever your favorite term might be. I have tasted many of these mixes over the years, but none that I like better than my own concoction. I make a lot of this every year and the number of requests for a container of it goes up every year.

Here is my recipe and a photo of my first batch of the season. This is 1/2 of a 9-boxes of cereal batch. I used a box of Crispix & a box of Life in addition to those listed in the recipe. I also added some dark chocolate peanut M&Ms to the final topping.

Dry Ingredients:
1 box each of Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Cinnamon Chex, Golden Grahams & Cinnamon Toast Crunch. (for a larger batch, add a box or two of Crispix or Life or double up on a couple of the primary cereals)
3-4 cups of Mini-pretzels or stick pretzels
3-4 cups of Corn Chips
1 jar (about 3 cups) Honey Roasted Peanuts
1 can Mixed Nuts
1 small jar or can of Macadamia Nuts
2-4 cups of Shoestring Potatoes
2-3 cups of Texas Pecan Halves (substitutions permitted if necessary)
1 bag Peanut M&Ms
1 bag Almond M&Ms

Basting Ingredients:
3/4 to 1 cup of Cooking Oil
1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Seasoned Salt
3 Tablespoons of Tobasco Sauce

Mix all the dry ingredients except the M&Ms in a large container. Seven boxes of cereal will make enough for about 3 roasting pans; nine boxes will make enough for about 4 roasting pans.

The basting mix will make enough for 2 roasting pans. If you are baking one roasting pan full at a time, cut the ingredients in half.

Preheat the oven to 200˚F. Sprinkle 1/4 of the basting mix over the ingredients in the roasting pan, then bake for 2 hours. Stir the mix and sprinkle another 1/4 of the basting mix over the ingredients every 30 minutes. Sprinkle a couple handfuls of the M&Ms on top of the other ingredients at the start of the last 30 minutes of baking.

Let it cool, store in covered containers, eat & enjoy!

The recipe invites experimentation. You can eliminate some ingredients for a smaller batch or substitute other favorites of your own. Keep the honey, cinnamon & graham cereals and the honey roasted peanuts though - they are the main ingredients for the awesome-good taste of this recipe. And of course, you MUST use the Texas pecans (if you can get them). :)

You can also adjust the basting mix to taste. Add more hot sauce if you like things sharp or reduce it if you don't. You can also use mild tobasco instead of original or a combination of the two.

Have fun & enjoy
Edgar
EADA81F0-CA75-4F2E-A79F-E62D2CE36AEB.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the reminder Ed. We are downsized this year from 25 relatives to 3, but I suspect a 'small batch' of Texas Trail Mix will do just fine!

For those not familiar with this... Ed's recipe is excellent! My only modification is for more hot sauce! Enjoy.

WriteON

This is the time of year for trail mix, chex mix, Texas trash or whatever your favorite term might be. I have tasted many of these mixes over the years, but none that I like better than my own concoction. I make a lot of this every year and the number of requests for a container of it goes up every year.

Here is my recipe and a photo of my first batch of the season. This is 1/2 of a 9-boxes of cereal batch. I used a box of Crispix & a box of Life in addition to those listed in the recipe. I also added some dark chocolate peanut M&Ms to the final topping.

Dry Ingredients:
1 box each of Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Cinnamon Chex, Golden Grahams & Cinnamon Toast Crunch. (for a larger batch, add a box or two of Crispix or Life or double up on a couple of the primary cereals)
3-4 cups of Mini-pretzels or stick pretzels
3-4 cups of Corn Chips
1 jar (about 3 cups) Honey Roasted Peanuts
1 can Mixed Nuts
1 small jar or can of Macadamia Nuts
2-4 cups of Shoestring Potatoes
2-3 cups of Texas Pecan Halves (substitutions permitted if necessary)
1 bag Peanut M&Ms
1 bag Almond M&Ms

Basting Ingredients:
3/4 to 1 cup of Cooking Oil
1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Seasoned Salt
3 Tablespoons of Tobasco Sauce

Mix all the dry ingredients except the M&Ms in a large container. Seven boxes of cereal will make enough for about 3 roasting pans; nine boxes will make enough for about 4 roasting pans.

The basting mix will make enough for 2 roasting pans. If you are baking one roasting pan full at a time, cut the ingredients in half.

Preheat the oven to 200˚F. Sprinkle 1/4 of the basting mix over the ingredients in the roasting pan, then bake for 2 hours. Stir the mix and sprinkle another 1/4 of the basting mix over the ingredients every 30 minutes. Sprinkle a couple handfuls of the M&Ms on top of the other ingredients at the start of the last 30 minutes of baking.

Let it cool, store in covered containers, eat & enjoy!

The recipe invites experimentation. You can eliminate some ingredients for a smaller batch or substitute other favorites of your own. Keep the honey, cinnamon & graham cereals and the honey roasted peanuts though - they are the main ingredients for the awesome-good taste of this recipe. And of course, you MUST use the Texas pecans (if you can get them). :)

You can also adjust the basting mix to taste. Add more hot sauce if you like things sharp or reduce it if you don't. You can also use mild tobasco instead of original or a combination of the two.

Have fun & enjoy
EdgarView attachment 291513
OH BABY...damn that looks good (great)

Top Bottom