Tortoise shell and bronze fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here's a little number I finished up this afternoon. This was a commission I'd been working on for a couple weeks: a fountain pen in tortoise shell acetate and bronze. The prospective owner wanted to me to make him a pen with the base being this lovely tortoise shell acetate, with a bronze skeleton overlay, bronze cap, and clip that somehow tied into the overlay. The pen is about 5.5" long capped, with 1/2" diameter cap threads, which are 1mm triple lead. I used Rio Grande's pink bronze casting grain to rough cast the parts to keep the weight down, and fine tuned/formed them over my custom made mandrels. Overall it's a reasonably light pen (considering all the metal elements), weighing in under 50 grams. No adhesives were used in this pen, and all parts thread together. The nib is a jowo 6, and is filled via converter.
94D3726D-54B5-430C-94E3-804D84EE3B98.jpeg
6672C379-E618-4360-95B4-343ECBD54D7D.jpeg
89EC49EB-B61E-4231-9E22-91E94A12A900.jpeg
EEC24380-E30D-4B21-8702-98E1DD710755.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW !!!

That is the most unique and beautiful pen that I have seen !!!

It looks so fragile !!!

Congratulations, John !!

jalbert

Wow, talking about "raising the bar"...!

I'm afraid to ask how many hours you put into this pen, you better say "plenty" before someone gives-up of trying...!

Cheers
George
Thanks! I would estimate somewhere in the12-15 hour range. I keep meaning to keep track of time for curiosity's sake, but always forget!

jalbert

Thanks for your reply, I was really expecting a lot more hours, you've done very well, congrats.

Cheers
George
I've done it long enough now where I can get the actual machining operations completed relatively quickly. I have a good process down for the turning, boring and threading operations. Having two lathes set up for different operations helps as well ;)
Also creating mandrels to help me form the metal parts and keep them true on the lathe for clean up, threading, and finishing cuts a lot of time off as well

robutacion

I've done it long enough now where I can get the actual machining operations completed relatively quickly. I have a good process down for the turning, boring and threading operations. Having two lathes set up for different operations helps as well ;)
Also creating mandrels to help me form the metal parts and keep them true on the lathe for clean up, threading, and finishing cuts a lot of time off as well
Yeah, that may explain it, thanks.

George

Top Bottom