Tortoise shell acrylic fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I got a bunch of new (to me) materials over the past couple weeks, including this tortoise shell acrylic from turners workshop, and I really had an urge to use it. I decided to try a 12 sided pen, which I'd not done before. I'd previously shied away because I wasn't sure how well defined the facets would end up being, as the cross section begins to move towards being more round as you increase the number of facets. Also, keeping facets defined while sanding and polishing is much more difficult with narrow facets.
the cap and barrel both have a modest taper to them, and have accents I made from bronze. The clip is bronze as well. It's about 5.25" capped, and a half inch diameter at the cap threads.
the nib is a jowo 6.
466D5C91-D16C-4268-BCC3-F219ADEC4505.jpeg
0C43B708-D142-428B-924E-32DC88A0CBED.jpeg
ACEBBAF2-681E-481B-AE6F-C727E6F7B9CA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

John ..... that is THE SUPERLATIVE of the superlative pens you make !!!

Fanatastic !!!

Congratulations !!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful John. I've always liked this material. I appreciate the facets also. I've held off trying them for the same reason you indicated, and more. Maybe some day!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent artistry. I love the tapered facets. Beautiful material and you paired it nicely with the bronze.

RichAldrich

I got a bunch of new (to me) materials over the past couple weeks, including this tortoise shell acrylic from turners workshop, and I really had an urge to use it. I decided to try a 12 sided pen, which I'd not done before. I'd previously shied away because I wasn't sure how well defined the facets would end up being, as the cross section begins to move towards being more round as you increase the number of facets. Also, keeping facets defined while sanding and polishing is much more difficult with narrow facets.
the cap and barrel both have a modest taper to them, and have accents I made from bronze. The clip is bronze as well. It's about 5.25" capped, and a half inch diameter at the cap threads.
the nib is a jowo 6.
View attachment 310098View attachment 310099View attachment 310100
Nice pen!

Top Bottom