tooth blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DannyHeatley

So I have a friend who's in dentistry school and he's made a couple of pens on my lathe but he was asking me today if there was anyway I could cast HUMAN teeth. The thought of this kind of grosses me out. But I'd really want to see the end result.

I can imagine you could cast it but what do you kind folks think about how it would drill or turn?

Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

So I have a friend who's in dentistry school and he's made a couple of pens on my lathe but he was asking me today if there was anyway I could cast HUMAN teeth. The thought of this kind of grosses me out. But I'd really want to see the end result.

I can imagine you could cast it but what do you kind folks think about how it would drill or turn?

Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom!

I haven't found anything yet that can't be cast, with human teeth sure you can but they gotta be huge, unless they are sliced out and wrapped around a brass tube, you would get 2 slices out of a large tooth but, your friend being in dentistry school, I'm sure he will have no shortage of teeth to play with.

Remember, nothing is impossible, only certain things require a greater degree of difficulty...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck,

Cheers
George

DannyHeatley

I was wondering if you'd cast it around a brass tube or if you'd cast it then drill through. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

I haven't found anything illegal about it. I looked but I can't see any problem... most of the time when kids lose teeth they just get tossed.

HamTurns

How about a large tooth?

If you got a really big tooth you could use a slimline kit and drill through the center of the tooth and glue it around the tube, then clear cast around it.

I bet it would turn (and smell) like antler.

Happy turning

Tom

PenPal

Never fear your mate in common with all aspiring dentists has access to practice artificial teeth I bought some myself they come in various sizes easily accomplished task is to make a tooth from white Corian especially a mini wisdom tooth and cut it at an angle with a Dremel hand held as I did, set it into the top of a pen at right angles to the clip, I made one for my Dental Surgeon and he framed it.

Fitting accompany the pen with two poems off the net Google English Comedienne Pam Ayers poem titled teeth and also poem by English Comedian Spike Milligan. Lots of hilarious stuff about the tooth Fairy on Google as well.

Go get a dental handpiece and rip out the air, water lines modify it using Slimline kit and it has ie the ones I have made a place in the hall of fame kept by graduating dentist guys and gals I have made them for, remember your queasiness is lost on Dentists.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

triw51

I am thinking if you are using wisdom teeth they are big. I would drill a small hole 1/16" through the tooth in relationship to how you want it aligned with your blank then using skewers to hold then cast in a mold. That way you can keep the shape you want.

eliasbboy

The question you really need to ask is

"Is it safe?"

isitsafe.jpg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You could go down a slightly different road...:biggrin:
Ask your dentist mate if he recognises this device

It's a copy of an old 18th century dental tool that I made for a great member that no longer visits IAP. :frown: He is a dentist too.

Top Bottom