Toon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ren-lathe

ren-lathe

This one is made out of Toon an exotic from Hawaii. The grain and color set it apart.

Attachments

• tn1.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 208
  • tn2.jpg
    tn2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kalai

Very nice bowl and a nice wood too, I like the way the shape shows off the grain. I have been harvesting a lot of Toon lately, for me and I got 12 logs for Hawaii Island Hardwoods. It is a very nice wood, the Toon is a nice reddish color and the Tropical Ash is white, you can tell by the color. Aloha.

Kalai

Attachments

• wood harvesting 020.JPG
    wood harvesting 020.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 159

bench1holio

im pretty sure "toon" is australian red cedar or toona ciliata var. australias.
It is one of Australia's few native deciduous trees. The timber is red in colour, easy to work and very highly valued. It was used extensively for furniture, wood panelling and construction, including shipbuilding, and was referred to as "Red Gold" by Australian settlers.[5] Heavily and unsustainably exploited in the 19th Century and early 20th Century, almost all the large trees have been cut out and the species is essentially commercially extinct.[6] However, the timber is relatively fast growing and following on from a wave of tree cutting in the 1950s, regrowth and timber from forestry sources currently provides trees up to 1 metre in diameter for the furniture trade in Australia and timber is not difficult to source.

Kalai

im pretty sure "toon" is australian red cedar or toona ciliata var. australias.
It is one of Australia's few native deciduous trees. The timber is red in colour, easy to work and very highly valued. It was used extensively for furniture, wood panelling and construction, including shipbuilding, and was referred to as "Red Gold" by Australian settlers.[5] Heavily and unsustainably exploited in the 19th Century and early 20th Century, almost all the large trees have been cut out and the species is essentially commercially extinct.[6] However, the timber is relatively fast growing and following on from a wave of tree cutting in the 1950s, regrowth and timber from forestry sources currently provides trees up to 1 metre in diameter for the furniture trade in Australia and timber is not difficult to source.

Yes you are correct, Toon is from Australia and it grows here in Hawaii, just like a lot of other woods that grow here in Hawaii, a lot of them come from Australia.
There is a guy from Hawaii that sells pen blanks and bowl blanks and he says everything is rare, Toon is common here in Hawaii. I actually sell a lot of it and cheaper than the guy on ebay. I wish we has some of those Box trees over here in Hawaii, that is some real nice wood you guys got over there. Aloha.

Kalai

Top Bottom