Tool & Supplies Purchasing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Imported poll question missed, please edit

• Online (Amazon, Hartville,Woodcraft, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Borg (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)

• Local General Hardware Store

• Local Woodworking Store (including Woodcraft)

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcollazo

Most of us buy our turning specific tools and supplies from places like CSUSA, AS, Woodchips, and Beartoothwoods.

But where do you guys buy most of your GENERAL tools and supplies (pliers, wrenches, saw blades, etc.) from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

My 'other' response includes many sources. Garage sales, flea markets, a couple local resellers of import tools, Grizzly, a bunch I inherited. Rarely do I buy tools from the BORGs as they are grossly overpriced.

oldsmokey

I had to check other. Depending on the tool my answer could change. If I need a saw blade for the skill saw, it's off to the nearest hardware store. If it's a saw blade for the table saw it's off to the industrial tool supply store. Other tools it's off to Harbor Freight. A month ago I needed a large set of dividers. None of the hardware stores, including Woodcrafters had what I wanted. Found the dividers on-line with Grizzly.
So for me it's hard to pick one catagory.
Ellis

mewell

I selected "Local woodworking store" but it really depends on WHAT I'm buying. Small stuff I'll go to Ace 'cause it's close, bandsaw blades in a hurry - Rockler or Woodcraft, finishes - Rockler or Woodcraft or online, etc.

TheHeretic

again like the others I tend to buy all over the place. I do buy online and at the borgs as well as at woodcraft. Now when I want larger things I will usually buy online if I find a decent price including the shipping etc.

Dean
Columbus OH

LEAP

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto
All over the place, where ever I can get the tool I want depending on if I need it now or am looking for a specific item or the best price.

Verne

Most I buy at the boxes, but I've spent a lot of time and money at HF, Grizzley, and others also. More money at Grizzley just because most were big items...
Vern

Originally posted by jcollazo
<br />Most of us buy our turning specific tools and supplies from places like CSUSA, AS, Woodchips, and Beartoothwoods.

But where do you guys buy most of your GENERAL tools and supplies (pliers, wrenches, saw blades, etc.) from?

I buy almost all of my tools at the local flea markets or tail-gating at antique tool shows. I'm there looking for antique hand woodworking tools anyway. It's inexpensive. 99% of what I have is quality USA-made stuff from pre-WWII through the 1960's or so. Some German, Swiss, English. The fit and finish on this stuff was superior. I have an early Crescent wrench that is a work of industrial art.

cozee

Other: Most of my general hand tools come of one of the big 3 tool trucks or Sears. I also pick stuff up at flea markets. And good deals come by every now and then at the pawn shops. Ebay is another shopping spot and have gotten some good buys on "classic" woodworking power tools. I've been known to make it if I can't find it.

GBusardo

I thought the poll was asking for general tools. I took that to mean, screwdrivers, hammers, tape measures, drills and so forth. Unless you can get a decent tool at a flea market or garage sale, it's hard to compete with one of the big boxes or Sears. (Yes, Sears does make a very good non motorized hand tool. maybe not as good as a Snap on, but a better tool that you can get at an Ace, IMHO) Does anyone order from Rockler or Woodcraft just to buy a tape measuer or screwdriver??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom