Tool Sharpening..........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumbs

I thought this subject was much like the weather in that everybody talks about it but nobody does much about it. Well that's the way it has always been for me.

Talk about it.
Try it.
Talk about it.
Try it again and then say ...........:((Expletives Deleted![V])

Well, today I did something about it! I don't like to endorse products by name but I don't know how to talk about this thing any other way........ I recently bought a Wolverine Sharpening jig from WoodTurningz. I had put off setting it up but today I put it on my grinder pedestal. I was surprised that I had to block up the grinder by about two inches to get the jig clamps under the wheels but I usually have difficulty with all simple mechanical devices so no big deal.

After I got the jig setup today, I decided what the hey! I'll give it a try. Not expecting much improvement in my usual inept manner of tool sharpening, I was totaly amazed and completely surprised by how fast I completed sharpening two skews, one spindle gouge, and even one parting tool. Less than 20 minutes for all! :D Now some of you old hands who only have to touch up your tools on occasion might laugh at this.

However, these tools were in such bad shape that I was considering just chucking them and buying another set altogether! Wow, what a mistake that would have been! Following the simple instructions on sharpening was so easy and produced such great results that I was embarrassed that I put off installing this thing so long. I never believed these things worked so well. I really was resigned to being one of those chumps who always have to buy new because I just have never been able to get the hang of that "simple" task of sharpening.

So I truly have to say this has probably been my "Best Buy" of the year. Even though it costs a lot for some of us retirees(We oughta get a discount!), I have to say it's been worth it for me after just a few minutes of use. I've seen some sites on the net showing similar home made ones. I don't care how you do it but if you have trouble sharpening your tools or just want to speed things up buy or make one of these things! You won't regret it!........;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It's great to hear such a ringing endorsement. Properly sharpened (and honed) tools make turning a real pleasure. I'm glad to hear that the Wolverine met your needs! [8D]

dubdrvrkev

You should see what it will do for you with the vari-grind attachment. After getting that, and watching the video on the oneway website about how to use it (very helpful) I re-ground my bowl gouge and went from lots o'catches to working like a dream. It cut my bowl time literally in half since I can use the gouge so much more than I could before. I have the same grind on my shallow spindle gouge that I do on my bowl gouge and in some cases they are interchangable.

tipusnr

Still not a great hand with mine (including the vari-grind attachment) but it DOES give me a 200% improvement over anything else I've tried. I may pick up the wider skew adapter someday to get a more consistent angle on my skews as well.

WoodChucker

I agree, been using it for a short time now and I really like it. I still play around with the old style hoping one day I can be skilled enough to sharpen tools like the pros. But for now this works for me too! Has anyone tried any of the other accessories for this?

Thumbs

I should mention <b>Fred in NC</b> had mentioned back in March* that <b>FREE </b>Videos in CD or Download form were available from OneWay!

So without further ado here are a couple of site addresses if you want to check out this system a bit more!

http://www.oneway.on.ca/forms/multi-media_request.htm
http://www.oneway.on.ca/sharpening/index.htm

*This was before I found the IAP forum or knew anything about the "Search" function.

<u>I thought it was awfully expensive but awfully worth it!</u>[}:)][:p][;)]

opfoto

I also use the wolverine jig.... I like it alot. Don't have the skew attachment for it yet but will soon. Looking for the next WC sale to get it. I downloaded the videos as well. Very helpful.

Thumbs

I should have stated that it seemed quite expensive because I bought the complete sharpening set up.
The basic jig, the skew sharpening attachment, and the vari-grind attachment, too. I didn't buy the stone dresser and the large gouge vari-grind attachment. I think I'll want to get that in the future though. The mfgr. also offers a wheel balancer, too. I certainly won't need that till I can save up again for some new wheels. Ha! Ha![;)]

For all of that, I spent about $150+/-. a whole lot more than my grinder and pedestal cost.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom