Tool Rest Too Big...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turners,
I have an interesting situation; I recently got a great deal on a larger lathe (12" spin x 36" long) and it has a 12"+ tool rest. However, because the mandrel is a standard length, the heads have to be relatively close together (with respect to the entire span available.)

However, with the heads closed in on the mandrel properly, there is no room for the tool rest -- it is some 2" away from the pen blank! While I *can* span the distance with the tool, I feel that there is a distinct lack of control.

Any ideas?

The hole into which my tool rest is placed is about the size of my thumb... most "replacement" heads are much smaller.

Ugh... I am new to this, and it feels like I am swatting at a pinata more than turning the wood.

Needless to say, the two pens that I have made so far are less than spectacular.

Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

What I did was buy an MT2 extension. It is mounted on my tailstock (and teh live center to it). This way I can use the stock toolrest just fine. The extension also provioded me a place for the tool rest to "park" when I am sanding.

If you cannot picture it just tell me and I'll try to post a pic of my setup. [:)]

Randy_

A little more information might be helpful, like the brand and model of lathe and the actual measured diameter of the post that supports the tool rest.

You may be able to purchase a different size tool rest for your lathe on the Internet or you may be able to have one made. Some folks purchase round stock of the proper size and have it welded up at a local shop. My local muffler shop will usually do small welding jobs for me for around 10 bucks.

Another alternative would to be to purchase one of the tool rest kits from CSUSA.

dubdrvrkev

Contact Lamar at swoodwrkng@aol.com I have his tool rests for both of my lathes and I am very happy with them. With the dimensions he should be able to take care of you. He just had a thread in the classifieds for the rests for the jet mini.

Russb

Most turning catalogs have a variety of tool rest systems with different size posts. Or as others have suggested a welding shop.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/index.html
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/

Also sounds like you could use a video on turning technique. You should never be more than about 1/2 inch from the workpiece. I try to keep the toolrest about 1/4 inch from the workpiece if not closer. The closer the better for control. If you want a DVD on penturning try http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cml-dvd.html

Johnathan

Originally posted by Dario
<br />What I did was buy an MT2 extension. It is mounted on my tailstock (and teh live center to it). This way I can use the stock toolrest just fine. The extension also provioded me a place for the tool rest to "park" when I am sanding.

If you cannot picture it just tell me and I'll try to post a pic of my setup. [:)]

Be very careful of this choice. The more you start adding to your lathe the less acurate it will become. Not so much a problem with bowls and such but pens have to be exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom