Tool pen assembly help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Earlier this year I purchased 10 Tool Pen kits like the ones in this thread from Berea. I'm just now getting around to turning them and I find the instructions not very clear (I can usually figure assembly out even without printed instructions) and several of the pieces easily slide in and out of the tube (I know they can be glued, but these are ridiculously loose).
I can call Berea tomorrow, but I'd like to get them assembled today. Does anyone have any tips on assembling these kits?
BTW, I can't find the instructions on Berea's site, but the instructions I have are the same as from Bear Tooth Woods.
Also, does anyone have a source for refills for these?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I use the standard Mini refills (memory). Only have been asked a few times and it has been a while.

I also added a seamripper blade (Beartooth woods sells the replacement blades). Replacement seamripper blades are a yes.

Must have done a hundred for quilters. The pen is seldom used as a pen.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

I've always told folks to just trim of the end of a nearly used up cheap Bic type pen. I was also thinking along the same line as Ken. Just went out to the shop and test fit one of these: Buy Mini D1 Ink Refills Black 3 Pieces at Woodcraft.com they're a Mini D-1 Refill and they fit.

Just for grins I did a search. If you don't like blue or black ink take a gander at these..

http://www.staples.com/mini+pen+refils/directory_mini+pen+refils

Actually learned something my self...We use Cross Style, Parker Style and unknowingly have been using Mini D-1 type refills..

Mr Vic

Just did a Google Search on D-1 pen refills... :eek:

Holly Cow...to many choices... :biggrin:

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I didn't think the D1 minis would fit as they measure 0.0905" and the refills with the Tool Pen measure 0.1170". I just went and tried a D1 and it fits but its very close to being too thin.
I'll have to check into getting some seam ripper blades to include with the other tools.

Mortalis

I like the Cross refills for the mini type of pen insert. They write much better than the originals. I get them from Staples office supplies.

Top Bottom