Tool Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

It's taken me some time to upload a pic, but here is my (new to me) lathe, a Jet 1236. Not bad for more than half the retail, it's in GREAT shape! I just have to find some place to put the thing, it's in the middle of my 'postage-stamp' sized shop right now... but it'll work!

20071018163745_sm-1236.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Michael, I got the same kind of deal on Craigslist for a 1236. The guy that sold it to me had a spotless shop and it looked showroom fresh. Great find, and best of all, you can mothball that ShopSmith! [:D][}:)][;)]

alamocdc

I thought it was sacreligious for a SS owner to use a dedicated machine.[}:)] Nice find, Michael![;)]

FWIW, I have two TSs, one BS, two DPs, two lathes and I'm still thinking about buying a SS. I just don't have room for it right now.[:0]

MDWine

you can mothball that ShopSmith! [:D][}:)][;)]

C'mon William, you know I'm very fond of my Shoppy...[:D]

(but, I'm moving the lathe to the place of prominence, cuz the Shoppy is easier to roll around!!!) It's not easy trying to wedge that HOSS into this shop, but I'll figure out a way!!1 (Heck, I got a full size radial arm saw in there!!)

MDWine

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Looks NEW ! congrats on the new lathe [:)]

Yep, it is in extremely nice condition for it's age! Jeff keeps an immaculate shop... I like that in a seller!![:D]

Tried to get my SuperNova 2 hooked up, gotta buy that darn screw-in thingy for the 8X1 ... DRAT!

DaveM

The 1236 is a great lathe. Keep a couple of spare belts handy, and you are good to go. I have owned one of these for several years now, and there are only a couple of small quirks.

The tailstock has a setscrew on the retainer part that rides the cam. This is a trick, as you can't tighten it all the way, or the cam lock won't work properly, but if it loosens up too much, then the bottom falls out of the tailstock. Check it every week or so, even though it is in a really awkward location.

Also, if you turn Acrylics, the strands will get sucked into the motor regularly. I take the cover off, and clean things out often. This has kept the machine healthy and happy for me.

Great lathe. Even better at half price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom