Tool bit material choice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Looking around Enco, I noticed that there are material choices for tool (replacement) bits.

Price aside, what material is best for woodturning?

1. Carbide
2. M2 HSS
3. 5% Cobalt
4. 8% Cobalt
5. 10% Cobalt

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Carbide is the hardest, but it can also be relatively brittle. It is best ground with diamond wheels. It is similar to ceramic in properties, so it gets extremely sharp, but other metals touching the edge will chip it. Cobalt is between HSS and Carbide in hardness, and it's tough as well. It has a higher melting point than HSS, so doesn't dull as easily.

I haven't really used anything but my carbide inserts for turning wood, and they seem to work fine even though the edges are honed, so are not razor sharp. I would suspect that cobalt would keep a good edge and would be the best for wood.

Paul in OKC

I would agree with you, Bruce. I have made a couple of tools with inserts, but I think the best would be one of the cobalt choices. The higher the number the tougher the tool, if I remember right. That would be the best I think especially for most folks to have and be able to resharpen as needed at home.

bob393

All mine are M2 HSS.
The best, probably not!
Easy to sharpen and I'm happy with the edge holding.
They work for me.
I'm actualy looking for one old high carbon steel skew for the finish cut. Now that's a sharp tool.

Paul in OKC

My main turning tool now is a home made one. Knurled aluminum handle and a piece of 1/2" drill rod. I cut a 'U' shape in the end of it for about 1 1/2" back, then heat treated it. Has kind of a finger nail look to it. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom