Todays Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Made a much slimmer pen today. I have now tried 3 different Fountain Pen Kits and I think I like this one best. Not so Bulky as yesterday's. Its a Byron Kit with Melamine finish.
Please feel free to comment its the only way I will improve.

Attachments

• pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 139
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 133
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Michael

I really like that both look and finish . I too am a melamine fan as it doesn't hide the grain and is hard wear8ng plus it doesn't stink like CA

Kcimdrib

Michael

I really like that both look and finish . I too am a melamine fan as it doesn't hide the grain and is hard wear8ng plus it doesn't stink like CA
And it doesn't stick your fingers together or change you fingerprint ID when you log into your phone.

Mullanphy

What is melamine used as a finish? I'm familiar with the material as an electrical insulator and as a laminating material, but not as a liquid(?) finishing material.

Kcimdrib

What is melamine used as a finish? I'm familiar with the material as an electrical insulator and as a laminating material, but not as a liquid(?) finishing material.
Its sold as a Liquid to apply a finish on wood and gives good protection.

Kcimdrib

This is the product I use on Pens. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20210415_160804.jpg
    20210415_160804.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 70

Alan Morrison

Phil Dart has a step by step instruction pdf on using Melamine Lacquer at @penturners.co.uk under 'Tutorials' and then 'Finishing'.
Alan

howsitwork

To be honest I often add cellulose thinners to slow the drying as otherwise I can sometimes get brush marks. I also bought some really good artists fine brushes to use and " flow it on " results are much better.

Kcimdrib

To be honest I often add cellulose thinners to slow the drying as otherwise I can sometimes get brush marks. I also bought some really good artists fine brushes to use and " flow it on " results are much better.
I use Blue Roll i have tried brushing but find a wipe with Blue Roll works best.

Kcimdrib

I see there are different finishes in the melamine, matt, gloss, etc... Can this be buffed to a high gloss similar to CA?
I think not I buff the final coat and sometimes finish with Wood Wax 22 to put on a finish, But for gloss it will not match CA. But does it need to its a finish in its own right.

Top Bottom