Todays Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

First using the tips picked up off the IAP I assembled the Lamination on the Pen tube great idea no wobbly piles of wood and glue everywhere great idea. Used Epoxy Resin Glue worked well.
Then carried on my experiments with Melamine Laquer finishing. Your comments on the finish would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I'm no expert on making these blanks but I know what I like and this is one of those pens[emoji106]
I prefer a very high gloss CA finish myself but that's a personal thing and you've achieved a good finish there using melamine.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Kcimdrib

I'm no expert on making these blanks but I know what I like and this is one of those pens[emoji106]
I prefer a very high gloss CA finish myself but that's a personal thing and you've achieved a good finish there using melamine.

Fist I'm pleased you like them. I'm not a fan of CA its to artificial for me and quite fiddly but that's not to say I never use it its good to have a choice. Melamine seems to retain the feel of wood. But its just my opinion.
Thanks again.

magpens

Nice work !!

I really like the look of that pen !!

I also like the finish ... the "muted shine" is a nice change from the CA.

Please tell us what woods you used.

Also the name of the kit.

howsitwork

I like that and , like you, am a melamine fan. So are you saying those laminations were drilled with a hole and then assembled on the tube with epoxy?

Kcimdrib

Nice work !!

I really like the look of that pen !!

I also like the finish ... the "muted shine" is a nice change from the CA.

Please tell us what woods you used.

Also the name of the kit.
The wood is Maple Ebony and Oak. The Kit is called Atom 2 from Penkraft UK.
I am still experimenting wit Melamine finish so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks for your comments.

magpens

@Kcimdrib
Thanks for your reply.

I assume the Oak is the very thin ring ( sandwiched with a piece of thin veneer ) between the Maple and the Ebony ( sandwiched with a piece of thin veneer ). . I like that structure !!

Melamine .... do you buy in a small can (like the smallest of paint cans) ? ..... Or ..... ?

Kcimdrib

I like that and , like you, am a melamine fan. So are you saying those laminations were drilled with a hole and then assembled on the tube with epoxy?
Yes I used a blank and drilled on the Lathe then cut them to required thickness and glued them on the pen tube.

Kcimdrib

@Kcimdrib
Thanks for your reply.

I assume the Oak is the very thin ring ( sandwiched with a piece of thin veneer ) between the Maple and the Ebony ( sandwiched with a piece of thin veneer ). . I like that structure !!

Melamine .... do you buy in a small can (like the smallest of paint cans) ? ..... Or ..... ?
Thats correct but the thin black line is Epoxy residue but I don't think it detracts but happened by accident. The Epoxy I used cures in 5 mins so you have to work fast.
It comes im a 500ml can.

DJBPenmaker

Fist I'm pleased you like them. I'm not a fan of CA its to artificial for me and quite fiddly but that's not to say I never use it its good to have a choice. Melamine seems to retain the feel of wood. But its just my opinion.
Thanks again.
I often finish my CA with a satin finish and doing so also creates a more "natural" look but with the durability of CA. As you say it is more fiddly though. I've never mastered a melamine finish to my satisfaction but yours is good.

howsitwork

Thats correct but the thin black line is Epoxy residue but I don't think it detracts but happened by accident. The Epoxy I used cures in 5 mins so you have to work fast.
It comes im a 500ml can.
Mal

the melamine we use over here is in a cellulose base so hardens really quickly and comes , as Kcmidrib says in 500ml tins. I think you are comparing it to model enamel which comes in small cans of about 20ml?
hope this link works? https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/

Im not. 5 minute epoxy fan baseĀ£ on past experience building model RC aircraft when after about 5 years some of the joints became a bit soft again whereas the precision version of araldyte ( 24 hour final cure) stayed rock hard. For our uses it's probably fine though and would considerably speed up my blank making šŸ¤”

Kcimdrib

Mal

the melamine we use over here is in a cellulose base so hardens really quickly and comes , as Kcmidrib says in 500ml tins. I think you are comparing it to model enamel which comes in small cans of about 20ml?

Im not. 5 minute epoxy fan baseĀ£ on past experience building model RC aircraft when after about 5 years some of the joints became a bit soft again whereas the precision version of araldyte ( 24 hour final cure) stayed rock hard. For our uses it's probably fine though and would considerably speed up my blank making šŸ¤”
At 75 whats 5 years.. haha

Kcimdrib

At 75 whats 5 years.. haha
Chestnut products supply many finishing products I use there Sanding Sealer and Burnishing Cream also Spirit Stains I like. My test sofar have shown Burnishing Cream doesn't work on Melamine Laquer but after Miromesh on CA it's excellent.

magpens

@howsitwork

Ian, ..... thank you for this info on Chestnut products. . I wonder if there is anywhere I can get them in Canada .....

I see that they are available in the US here ..... https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/148/6338/chestnut-Spirit-Stain

Mal

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

Pretty sure the would have maybe a DIY store.
I've looked on the net and can't find a Canadian supplier apparently its classed as hazardous. Craft Supplies USA stock it. But will they ship it ?
Best I can do.

Mike

PatrickR

I have wondered what the difference in the melamine lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer is. I think of melamine as a plastic coating. Commonly used on fiberboard, sold as shelving etc. The lacquer readily available here in the USA is nitrocellulose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kcimdrib

I have wondered what the difference in the melamine lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer is. I think of melamine as a plastic coating. Commonly used on fiberboard, sold as shelving etc. The lacquer readily available here in the USA is nitrocellulose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Being a Laquer I wonder if Automotive Laquer would give a finish I think I tried yeas ago in Aerosol form but can't remember how successful it was, But should give a hard finish, being Acrylic it just mite work lots of thin cotes and fairly fast drying.
Think I have a can may give it a go.
I am sure someone as tried it and would it react with wood.

Last edited:

howsitwork

Acrylic works ok but , being water based raises the grain a bit . Best use sanding sealer first I found as otherwise absorption is patch at first.

Note this was on larger project items I have NOT tried on pens

Kcimdrib

Acrylic works ok but , being water based raises the grain a bit . Best use sanding sealer first I found as otherwise absorption is patch at first.

Note this was on larger project items I have NOT tried on pens
Also best to use Sanding Sealer when using Melamine to stop absorption.

Top Bottom