Today's pen - plus an observation and a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

As a pen turner AND a pen seller, I often get into a situation where I think it good to offer a pen to someone at no charge. Lots of reasons. I'm sure this is no shock to you. But it seems that I only have my display case when I "need" to do this. It can be more expensive than I want it to be (I'm cheap). So I've been looking for a lower cost alternative.

I was hoping to find a click pen using a Parker-style refill and found the PSI Slimline Pro series and ordered some. Here's my second (LOML got #1).:).

My observation: I am really pleased with this pen. It's an 8mm, 2 tube pen. Click style, pretty basic, but it's real affordable (the kit is under $5). Straight forward assembly, etc. The thing that impresses me even more is that it feels real good in my hand - and I'm fussy). Excellent length and balance. Not heavy, not too light. I'm thinking I may want to keep this guy as a (lower priced) staple in my inventory.

The only thing I would change is the clip. Don't like the black stripe. It'd be nicer all chrome, gold, etc.

My question: how about you? Have you done these? Was your experience good, too? If you sell, what is your price point? I'm in mid-Michigan and I'm thinking in the low $20's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 552
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I hope you have better luck than I! I'm like you I like the pen size etc etc - I made 4-5 of those last year and had two click units go bad! Let us know how they perform! I hope they work well for you!

magpens

Please describe who, for example, is the sort of person to whom you would feel inclined to *give* a pen free of charge ? ... the tone of your statements seem to indicate that that person is a stranger to you before the gift-giving.

And also, what is the question ? .... you listed at least 3 questions .... :):):):)

Last edited:

magpens

BTW, what blank is on that pen ? ... it's beautiful ... doesn't look like a cheapie ... where'd you get it, please ? :)

Oh, come on, Mal. Haven't you ever had someone do an "extra" for you and you wanted to do something a bit more than say "thanks"? Example: I was having trouble with my satellite dish. Called the company and they sent a tech out to see what what the issue was. He fixed it right away (in a pouring rain), was really nice about it, and even did a hook up on a different TV at no charge. Besides that, we are both Army vet's. So I gave him a pen. He was touched. That's what I'm talking about.

And the blank is from PSI. It's an acrylester blank called Healing Waters. Lots of folks here don't like that material (drilling can be a pia) but if you use real sharp tools, take light, light cuts and have extraordinary patience it can turn out really well. Glad you like it.

And it was 4 questions. Humble apologies (did you answer any of them?)

Last edited:

JimB

I was a little confused by your 'giving away' statement as well. I thought you were giving them away at venues where you were selling. Obviously, from your follow up, that is not what you meant.

I've never turned that particular pen but I will tell you I don't sell any pen for an amount in the 20's. The last Comfort pen I sold was about 4 years ago and that was for $35. The components cost about the same as yours and the blank was wood.

Hope that helps.

vakmere

From my experience the clicks on the Slimline Pros' that I did falied and I stopped making them (7 in all). 4 malfunctioned and wouldnt work anymore. Wall St ll clicks were a little better and the Stratus was most reliable (just dont drop it or you'll be gluing the plunger back on). For the price of that Slimline pro kit an off the shelf Parker click from Rite Aid was better quality and only cost $4.99. As for giving pens away as a thank you, surprise gift, or 'just because', I've done that plenty of times.

Last edited:

magpens

Hi Ted,

Thanks for clarifying what you were talking about in your OP. I was not the only one confused; as you can see JimB didn't get the point either.

Now that we are clear .... OF COURSE I have given away pens as thank you gestures. But I am not as *cheap* as you ... I give away 30 Caliber Bolt Actions ... they have a novelty appeal and are only about double the price of a Slimline Pro ... plus they are a lot easier to make !!

So there ..... :biggrin::biggrin:

Mal

Oh, come on, Mal. Haven't you ever had someone do an "extra" for you and you wanted to do something a bit more than say "thanks"? Example: I was having trouble with my satellite dish. Called the company and they sent a tech out to see what what the issue was. He fixed it right away (in a pouring rain), was really nice about it, and even did a hook up on a different TV at no charge. Besides that, we are both Army vet's. So I gave him a pen. He was touched. That's what I'm talking about.

And the blank is from PSI. It's an acrylester blank called Healing Waters. Lots of folks here don't like that material (drilling can be a pia) but if you use real sharp tools, take light, light cuts and have extraordinary patience it can turn out really well. Glad you like it.

And it was 4 questions. Humble apologies (did you answer any of them?)

I was a little confused by your 'giving away' statement as well. I thought you were giving them away at venues where you were selling. Obviously, from your follow up, that is not what you meant.

I've never turned that particular pen but I will tell you I don't sell any pen for an amount in the 20's. The last Comfort pen I sold was about 4 years ago and that was for $35. The components cost about the same as yours and the blank was wood.

Hope that helps.

turncrazy43

Ted, the PSI slim line pro is a nice little click pen and have sold several myself with out any problems or returns. The Compson is also a nice clicker as mentioned. The PSI Bot Action Tec-Pen is a nice reliable sort-of-click pen and seems to be a hit with my customers as well. I have also found that the PSI Chic-Line twist pen is a good seller, especially with the ladies. They like the light weight and the embossed cap seems to be a hit with them as well.

Rounder

I like the slim line pro and have started modifying them as a single tube instead of 2 tubes. Bought 8 mm tubes and cut the blank to length adding enough for the center band(messed the first on up as I forgot about the band).

WELL - I guess I'm not the paragon of clarity that I thought. Go figure. However - to be accurate, I never said "give away".

Mal - you are obviously a wonderfully generous soul. Not the cheap dirt bag that looks back at me in the mirror. Bolt actions? WOW! What a great treat for the lucky recipients!

Jim - one thing I've learned is the importance of knowing my market (and the local economic conditions are hugely important in understanding the market). Michigan is recovering but there's still not a whole bunch of disposable income floating around. I try to not be a snob. If I could sell $20 pens at a decent margin, I would.

Dan Masshardt

Ted - I agree with you on that black clip. :-(

I'm not into clicks, but I do make a couple of the aero click. Pick them up on a Csusa group buy. Makes a solid $40 pen.

If I want to make a giveaway pen, it's usually the executive. It's pretty darn inexpensive.

For me, a low cost pen absolutely must be a single tube pen. (Unless it's a friend / family member who wants something particular). Two tubes is double everything. Which leads to more $.

Dan - agree with most everything you said. Love the Aero click. Except the twist thing. I'm a click guy and most of the folk I sell to are, also.

But I do love that (reliable) $5 Exec kit!!

rossvh

Ted, this is an interesting discussion and I appreciate your willingness to let us explain our experiences. The great thing is that no one is wrong - we all have different situations and experiences which gives good insight to potential issues. My experience is the Slimline Pro is ok but I prefer to only have a few around in case someone wants a smaller, lighter inexpensive pen ($35 for me). I have now done over 500 pens in the last 3 years and have not had any issues with the transmission. I have however redone 2 that were dropped and damaged. No big deal.

BTW - I like your pen and wish you the best in this addicting hobby!! :)
RossVH

Ross - you are oh, so correct! I, too, have been doing pens for a while (maybe 10 yrs now) and I am continually struck by the commentary here regarding the craft. You might think that after all this time there would be one, universally accepted way of, say, applying a CA finish. But, no. If there are 15 pen turners in a room, there will be 20 different ways to apply CA. And the list goes on... There is example after example of things like this. So we all come here, learn, and then try something new. Ain't it grand?

thanks for your comment (and your appreciation of the pen).

Ted, I do shows mostly in the Jackson to Kalamazoo area, I sell the slims for $25 to $30 depending on the blank cost. You might do just as well or better but YRMV

You can swap out the clips ya know.. they are the same bloody clip as a reg slim, you may have to open up the hole to seat on the finial but is nothing major. I like that small bit of black, if you have steady hand you can engrave it with logo.

Top Bottom