Todays Haul of Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed43

Cut this up today, look to have some nice color in.

200610243454_HPIM0269.jpg

20061024357_HPIM0270.jpg

it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Nice haul! I have a question if you don't mind: What causes the holes in the center of the tree? Was the tree dead and rotting from the inside out, or are these caused by bugs, or what? Just curious...[:I]

reed43

Why the hole in the middle I am not sure other than it is natural in the stumps of ironwood trees. The tree has been dead I know since the late fiftys. That hole in the center is almost always filled with sand and gravel, and even small rocks.The farther up the tree the smaller the hole. Reed

Tea Clipper

Thanks for the info Reed, I've seen that occur in other trees as well, but don't know why. That's interesting that it sucks up dirt/gravel along the way.

That must have done some serious damage to your chain!
I'll drive over and take that piece with the rope on it, it looks like a burl on the side of it. Just let me know when you aren't home! Seriously we have some of those here (dead ones) but I am unable to harvest them.[:(!][:(!]

Dario

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Thanks for the info Reed, I've seen that occur in other trees as well, but don't know why. That's interesting that it sucks up dirt/gravel along the way.

I believe the hole is filled with rocks, sand etc by nature. Wind storm can dump a lot of stuff in those crevices fast! Maybe even some wildlife chipped in some [;)][:D]

FYI, most of the tree I've seen rot because of an opening on the top...smaller maybe but that is where water go in and cause the rot that slowly eat the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom